Whole Leaf Tobacco

I finally found the scoop on delgold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I have specific answers to many of the questions I have been asking about this strain finally, because I didn't find it instantly I figured maybe someone else was wondering the same things and havent yet found this document so i will share it here.

Basically VA 115 male parts were crossed to female rustica strain known as "Babor" and the resulting progeny were normally sterile but they grew enough out to get some that were not sterile and were not too bushy and back-crossed this to hicks broadleaf then back to 115 before they stabilized it. For anyone wanting to make their own new heirloom seed if you read between the lines here I think you'll get an idea of the amazing amount of work this takes.
I attached the pdf, it's a great read.

Attachments

• delgold.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 33

skychaser

lol Yeah, there is usually a bit more too creating a new strain than randomly crossing two different ones. And even a simple cross takes several generations to stabilize.

I knew it was a 3 way cross with VA 115 and Hicks Broadleaf and a Rustica, but never knew for sure what Rustica. Good find Smokes. :) But I have never heard of Babor before. So what's its story?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
It's from canada so i did a search for that and was wondering if babor meant something in french, it didnt as far as i can tell, at least as a literal translation, it does mean 'port' in spanish tho.

it appears to be more desirable than 115 but by the numbers it's a very incremental increase. very desirable when you take into account the many incremental positive changes all across the board though, from leaf size to plant shape to yield/a etc. every last little detail is just slightly better when compared to the parent brightleaf. that's nice but it really shows the technical barriers in improving a strain. it's like you have so many points to allocate across a wide field of plant attributes and all plants seem to have about the same size pool to choose from, rusticas are shorting production for chemical content, massive broadleaf varieties go in the other direction.

and years worth of scientific study and selection go into increasing the pool by only a couple points.

no free lunch i guess. that is why no broadleaf rustica exists.

leverhead

and years worth of scientific study and selection go into increasing the pool by only a couple points.

no free lunch i guess. that is why no broadleaf rustica exists.

The monetary yield went to 112% of Virginia 115, it's a commercial crop. Allot of jobs left this country for less.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nine years of work, from first crossing to commercial seed production, with gobs of grow-outs of batches of seed in order to select specimens for subsequent generations and crosses...yeouch! And that's not even considering the number of plants germinated and transplanted for each test batch, year after year, along with tending, harvesting, measuring and lab testing.

Great article. Thanks.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.