Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I need a source for menthol

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I know some of you use menthol in your cigarettes and I have a customer who wants to know if I can get some. Is there a better product to use than others or is it all basically the same?

How much do you use and how do you use it?

If someone wants to put this in the "Products" forum, I'll direct all of my business there.

Thanks

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
FROM WHAT IVE READ,,, THE STRAIN '' silver river''. has a menthol taste naturally,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
FROM WHAT IVE READ,,, THE STRAIN '' silver river''. has a menthol taste naturally,

That's kind of funny since Don is the one that originally supplied Silver River!
As for smoking it. Everyone I've given it to (5 people) say they detect no menthol flavor whatsoever.
As for buying menthol, like Ishi said..try Dadant and Sons, all the bee supply places sell it (Better Bee, Mann Lake, Brushy Mountain Bee Supply)
Randy B

Boboro

I stuff 2 cartons at a time and store them in a box with a vodka soaked sponge when I want menthol I put a few Halls cough drops in.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
As for smoking it. Everyone I've given it to (5 people) say they detect no menthol flavor whatsoever.

I only grew it one year and even a menthol cigarette smoker acknowledged the flavor having a slight hint of menthol-like taste. I'll grow it again this year and keep the seeds. I suppose there is a possibility the seeds were mislabeled or maybe it was something in the soil that affected the flavor.

Did anyone else have Silver River plants that looked like this?

SilverRivercropped.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Mine looked just like your plant in the pic. It grew to about 6-7 feet. No menthol taste but it does have some kind of flavor to it. I like to smoke it in my pipe and will grow it again this year.

Last edited:

taxedenuf

My Silver River grew to 9ft with 40in+ leaves and the light airy smoke it creates seemed mentholie(LOL) to me.In aged bin storage it has a sour smell(like turkish) to it and the YTB is very sweet and i like the combination of the two.

Silver River should be classified has a white stem like the air Burley's cause it's hard to screw up.

I tried menthol crystals awhile back but they lost it fast.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Mark. Thanks for sharing your experience with Silver River. Be sure to check out the seed collection and let me know what you want.

taxedenuf

Thank's for the welcome Don.

I'll be only growing Silver River and YTB from now on.My Silver seeds never made it this year for some odd reason.I did a test germination and nothing sprouted but that was kinda expected cause they were half the size of a normal seed.It seems it takes forever for the pods to develop.

How's your Silver supply?I have many varieties of seed that i will donate to ya.

Mark

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I have SR from you from a couple years ago and someone else sent some, but I haven't tested them yet. If you need some, just let me know.

From what I remember, you never got the seeds from our deal at HTGT, so let me know what you want and if you do a grow-out, you get free baccy too. Let me know what you want and I'll get it in the mail. I use UPS for almost all packages now and haven't lost one yet.

taxedenuf

I sent you all the SR i had left from a trade with Tator figuring i would have plenty of seed and not the case though.I remember how he nursed his mother plant along and now see why.I'll let you know on that seed come plantin time.

I did get some 142 from Rex(oldvermonter) and I think i'm a bit too far north for it but must say it it's a pretty plant.

If you want me to do a grow out up here of a certain variety i'll be glad to do it and send the leaf back for free.Remember all i do is air in a crib.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Actually, Wisconsin is known for growing cigar leaf and 142 is a pretty popular production crop. Only in recent years has Havana 503b become more popular. I really don't care for the 503b, it's really bland...mild, yes, but pretty flavorless. Try to talk to some of the growers up there and find out when they start their plants. You might even be able to find some 142 seedlings.

Silver River takes forever for the seed pods to mature. Mine went through a couple of snow storms before I cut the flower head off...and then I only had a few ripe pods. We need a Floridian to do a SR grow-out.

Tell Rex to stop in and say "Hey"

One more thing....you get to keep the leaf if you do a grow-out, all I need are a few seed pods.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
My SR produced flowered 75 days after I planted them. I picked the seed pods in early September. Definitely doable at 40 degrees latitude!

Status
Not open for further replies.