Whole Leaf Tobacco

import some leaf into New Zealand

stic

Just so everyone is clear; of the 6 orders I have records for, 5 of them averaged 5.5 weeks, from order to arrival at my door (actually ranging from 4 weeks to 7 weeks)!

the 6th is tracking to be no different...

JennyLeez

@FmGrowit

I am really sorry to hear of the hassles with my country men. Just too impatient and not reading in here what many have been telling them.
The back log comes from a kiln breaking down and having to wait for parts. We were told this by email from the outfit having this issue. The other company had also had hassles which is what I struck with my sooty tobacco.
I am afraid I would not have sent any replacement package out at all. My country men should have been more patient.

I have 4 boxes held up at customs at present. I have paid for the heat treatment on all 4. I always email the company and let them know. They email when they pick up boxes. They email when they are due to release boxes back to customs and hence I know it is on its way.

They emailed a while back explaining the hold up so I was all good with that. No biggy, not the end of the world.
I have been advised I have box 1 of the 4 being released tomorrow. This box I brought from you end of November :) :) :)
So that makes it a 4 month wait.
But this lady is patience and now grateful that at least 1 of my boxes will soon be delivered :)

Needless to say I will not need any for a while with 3 more boxes stock pile at customs ... lol

and least we forget, there is far far far more important things going on around us as we in New Zealand have been stepped up to Level 4 and will be in full lock down in 24 hours to try and out run the covid19 virus.

( Thankfully the couriers are still working )

So stay at home all and stay safe :)

Cheers
Jenny

stic

Yep, I JUST got the email today about the breakdown (although, as they've had my latest parcel since 26 February, they could have emailed me a bit earlier with this info...

tommayo88

Morning from Wgtn. N.Z. I hope you don't mind but I have purchased some tobacco & don't mind the waiting time for customs. In no hurry, just want to see the process first hand. Thanks for the fair warning though. Good things take time, things are moving very slowly here at the moment. Hope everyone else is well in Lockdown. Cheers

stic

Hasn't changed my situation really; I'm on ACC off work with a torn supraspinatus (again), so, other than taking the dogs out to the next town over for a good run at the dog park at 6.30am every day, I usually stay home the rest of the time.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Good News from New Zealand. I just spoke with a customer who got his order in less than 30 days. I asked if he wouldn't mind if I shared his information here on the forum and this is his reply...
"Yea of course Don, for heat treament choose Flick anticimex NZ, and orders under $1000 are now exempt from tax"

"$130NZ for Flic to heat treat it. No problems with customs and I wasn't charged tax as they have increased from under $500 orders tax exemption to under a $1000 tax exemption, I was paying $180 tax before down to nothing now,
The process is pretty sweet over here."

The $130 charge for heat treatment was for 50 lbs. I'm sure the new limit is in NZ dollars, so $1000 NZD = about $590 USD or about 30 lbs. of cigarette tobacco.

homegrown

Hi. Here's hoping someone can help me out. My 10lb order is with Fedex in Auckland. They are asking me for $6906.56NZD in taxes!! WTF.!! I think the FedEx Customs Support Rep thinks tobacco is tobacco whether processed or not. I am waiting for them to call me back (lines were busy) What is the best way for me to explain what I have and what customs website should I send him to so he can do his home work? Thanks in advance

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Hi. Here's hoping someone can help me out. My 10lb order is with Fedex in Auckland. They are asking me for $6906.56NZD in taxes!! WTF.!! I think the FedEx Customs Support Rep thinks tobacco is tobacco whether processed or not. I am waiting for them to call me back (lines were busy) What is the best way for me to explain what I have and what customs website should I send him to so he can do his home work? Thanks in advance
I don't know anything about dealing with customs in NZ, but you can start by telling them the "Harmonized Tariff Code" for your order is "2401.10" and that what you imported is not a "tobacco PRODUCT". Raw Leaf Tobacco is an Agricultural Product. You're unfortunate to have been assigned yet another social warrior who know what's better for you than you do.

stic

That's weird,

My latest 10lb order is sitting at 'flick'. They can't go into work at the moment due to Covid, and they need to fix the kiln which is broken so no heat treatment until it's fixed...

But, you shouldn't have been charged ANY tax...

Obviously, they are designating your 'tobacco leaf' as a tobacco product (manufactured tobacco), when it is unmanufactured, and is therefore exempt from excise tax

You need to point out to them that this is unmanufactured tobacco.

stic

Good News from New Zealand. I just spoke with a customer who got his order in less than 30 days. I asked if he wouldn't mind if I shared his information here on the forum and this is his reply...
"Yea of course Don, for heat treament choose Flick anticimex NZ, and orders under $1000 are now exempt from tax"

"$130NZ for Flic to heat treat it. No problems with customs and I wasn't charged tax as they have increased from under $500 orders tax exemption to under a $1000 tax exemption, I was paying $180 tax before down to nothing now,
The process is pretty sweet over here."

The $130 charge for heat treatment was for 50 lbs. I'm sure the new limit is in NZ dollars, so $1000 NZD = about $590 USD or about 30 lbs. of cigarette tobacco.
Not too sure on this...

When customs look at an order, they take the cost of product AND shipping as the total price, so, to Keep under $1000NZ, you'd need to be under 22lb.

And, that's assuming the $1000 tax free limit is upheld...

homegrown

I don't know anything about dealing with customs in NZ, but you can start by telling them the "Harmonized Tariff Code" for your order is "2401.10" and that what you imported is not a "tobacco PRODUCT". Raw Leaf Tobacco is an Agricultural Product. You're unfortunate to have been assigned yet another social warrior who know what's better for you than you do.
Thanks. I got hold of Customs NZ. The lady I spoke with said that is the way it has always been and everyone pays taxes no matter the quantity (she didn't understand the difference either), anyway, I rang the FedEx customs support representative back and told him that Customs NZ said it was an unmanufactured product etc etc etc...lol sorted with my little white lie. I won't hold my breath until it arrives. Thanks

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Some encouraging news from New Zealand.

"Hope all is well with you guys over there. Things are about as positive as they can be here, I have finally received a few of my parcels I sent out for heat treatment.

The freighted shipment has cleared all of its inspections but is in storage until the lockdown ends 22 April, I was initially quoted a very expensive storage fee but it turned out to be very reasonable.

The virus seems to be coming under control here so I expect to receive that lot within the next 2-4 weeks. I will see how things go but I will probably try and put in another freighted order end of next week if circumstances here and at your end allow. "

stic

Some encouraging news from New Zealand.

"Hope all is well with you guys over there. Things are about as positive as they can be here, I have finally received a few of my parcels I sent out for heat treatment.

The freighted shipment has cleared all of its inspections but is in storage until the lock-down ends 22 April, I was initially quoted a very expensive storage fee but it turned out to be very reasonable.

The virus seems to be coming under control here so I expect to receive that lot within the next 2-4 weeks. I will see how things go but I will probably try and put in another freighted order end of next week if circumstances here and at your end allow. "
These parcel's must have been from 'Rentokil' as Flick are out of action at the moment, and advise me they cannot go into work due to the lock-down (and I would have thought rentokil was the same).

There should be NO storage fee, the packages simply sit at the treatment facility or MPI until picked up by courier...

Also, AGAIN, NZ customs assess the price of the 'package' at the original cost AND the cost of shipping combined, in NZ dollars!

Evelyn

Hi guys. Anyone here had packages missing? Out of the 4 or 5 I ordered is 2 of them missing, 1 from January and 1 from March. Tracking shows it is still somewhere in the US. I am placing another order again over the weekend but am afraid it will land on my other missing pile. ☹ Any ideas or advice please?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Hi guys. Anyone here had packages missing? Out of the 4 or 5 I ordered is 2 of them missing, 1 from January and 1 from March. Tracking shows it is still somewhere in the US. I am placing another order again over the weekend but am afraid it will land on my other missing pile. ☹ Any ideas or advice please?
I'm setting up a couple of distributors in NZ. They will have tobacco next week. Yes, it will cost more, but you will receive your orders in a timely manner and it won't be heat treated.