Whole Leaf Tobacco

import some leaf into New Zealand

abec72

My first order which has come through myus required me to contact fedex to change the item description etc so it was exempt for duty. This was a very easy process. My next order which is currently in route to myus has included this relevant information in the WLT order notes. This means that the Myus person who is handling my order will clearly see what the items should be declared as
What do I change the item / delcare the item as?

freedompiper

Davo, what did MyUS declare it as? Mine has been declared as 2401.20.5592. Tobacco nesoi, partly or wholly stemmed or stripped. Not threshed etc. Which is still excise exempt.

Davo

Cigarette leaf tobacco, flue cured, threshed 2401.20.8005....however after speaking on the Phone and emailing it was easy fix. To be honest, I don’t think the declaration actually changed they just processed it as such

Orson Carte

I don't think there's anything to worry about with Fedex clearing parcels with Customs at the NZ end of the shipment. It would appear that they have handled enough by now to know exactly the process.
The thing that concerns me (and time is fast running out) is that, according to 'Freedom Piper' Fedex is declining to carry packages that are waiting to be forwarded at MyUS - on the grounds that WLT is a 'prohibited substance' (which it isn't, but will be after July 1).
It would appear that the carriers DHL and UPS don't see it the same way but if possible I'd prefer to stick with Fedex because they certainly know what they're doing in Auckland. (And I'm not sure the other two do).
I've emailed Fedex in Auckland to ask if they can identify the problem at the US end. I'll let you know if I manage to find anything out.

abec72

I don't think there's anything to worry about with Fedex clearing parcels with Customs at the NZ end of the shipment. It would appear that they have handled enough by now to know exactly the process.
The thing that concerns me (and time is fast running out) is that, according to 'Freedom Piper' Fedex is declining to carry packages that are waiting to be forwarded at MyUS - on the grounds that WLT is a 'prohibited substance' (which it isn't, but will be after July 1).
It would appear that the carriers DHL and UPS don't see it the same way but if possible I'd prefer to stick with Fedex because they certainly know what they're doing in Auckland. (And I'm not sure the other two do).
I've emailed Fedex in Auckland to ask if they can identify the problem at the US end. I'll let you know if I manage to find anything out.
I have a parcel needing to be shipped would DHL be okay?

freedompiper

Anyone with orders waiting at myus: another forum member asked me to post this:

Date: 27 June 2020 at 03:58
Subject: ] 6418-303 -- MyUS.com 03178484

Hello Ed,

I am sorry we are not able to export the package 02-241-5915 for you. Our Trade Compliance Team advised that New Zealand restricts the said item and no carrier will be able to transport it for you.

Your options are to discard or return to the sender.

If you wish to return, this is how the process works: If you have not already done so, please contact the merchant to ask them about their return policy and to request that they provide you a prepaid return shipping label.

If the merchant has provided the prepaid label you may request our Package Support Team complete this return by attaching a prepaid shipping label from the merchant. There is a $7.00 USD fee to return the package with a prepaid label.

If the merchant is not willing to provide you a prepaid label, you may still return the package at your expense. Simply ask the seller for their full and complete return ship to address and phone number. You may enter this address within your MyUS address book and create a ship request for that package.

The return shipping costs are based on the type of membership you have, the destination, and the weight/dimensions of the package.

We would be happy to ship any items that do not conflict with any carrier and country Compliance Policy. Please consider us for your other package consolidation and express shipping needs.

I strongly suggest to inquire with us first if an item can be shipped or not prior to ordering to save your time and money.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Beverly
MyUS.com
www.myus.com

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This has been our return policy since 2010. When you accept and agree to the terms and conditions, this is (in part) what you are agreeing to.

*International Shipping* Outside of the U.S.A. Please read before ordering. You (the buyer) are responsible for knowing the laws which govern your ability to purchase whole leaf tobacco in your country. No refunds will be issued for the confiscated products. You are also responsible for any taxes, duty, VAT, or any other fees associated with your order once it arrives in your country. We will send the International Harmonized tariff code with each order, but this does not assure your customs department will honor it. In the event the order is returned, we will issue a refund equal to the product costs only. You will be responsible for the shipping costs.

1593250208677.png

Last edited:

JennyLeez

With one day to go I have one still with MYUS of which they have had for 21 days.
They will hear about this when I close my account!!!!!

I have one over in Hobart, Aussie. Fingers crossed that one is shipped across the sea today or tomorrow.

There is also one in East Tamaki with Fedx. But at least this is through customs so no worries.

Ok so now a MOAN about freight!!!!

So far MYUS has shipped 3 boxes.
Freight on the first was NZ$141.94c and I was not too pleased. Add the freight from WLT to MYUS and the total was NZ$187.03

Box number 2 was 0.2 lbs heavier and cost NZ$168.66c plus WLT to MYUS and the total was = $213.75

Box number 3 was 0.5lbs heavier and............ wait for it................ cost 213.86 plus WLT to MYUS and box 3 cost me NZ$258.95 in freight.

The 4th box is weighing in at 10.5lbs and I shuddered to think what that is going to cost me. That is 2 lbs more :(

Yep MYUS is certainly going to hear from me. That increase in freight is just a rip off!!!

Rant over........

Cheers
Jenny

freedompiper

Yep they are a shocker of a company. My leaf only order sat with them for 11 days, then went into review for 3 days, then had the wrong tariff code, which took 24 hours to fix, then got bumped out of the shipping queue after the tariff code was fixed despite shipping being set to automatic, which took another 24 hours. If it had been shipped 1 day earlier it would have made it but is now in Cincinnati with DHL not moving over the weekend. Thank goodness I panicked and sent the WLT order without waiting around to consolidate. Compare that to WLT, who must be the most efficient shippers on the planet, even during covid.

Davo

While I prefer email someone directly, I Thought I would ask @FmGrowit on the forum, just so everyone can get the answer at the same time.

with orders being incorrectly stopped by myus, would WLT onforward any returned orders with USPS? I know you have said elsewhere that you are over the headache of shipping to NZ (and I totally don’t blame ya) and so I don’t want to cause you more trouble.
Cheers

Orson Carte

If there was a possibility for WLT to re-ship a returned a parcel that is stranded at MYUs, because none of their shippers (Fedex, DHL or UPS) will accept it, I'd certainly like to do it.
In other words, I'd much prefer that WLT still had a completed sale rather than take the parcel back and make a refund.
I, like many others, had no prior notice that these carriers were going to shut the door well in advance of the actual law change in NZ on July 1. It appears that it is these carriers, not MyUS, who've put the spanner in the works.
I have two parcels with MyUS that arrived there more than three weeks ago and I've only just got the message that they can't forward them. Under 'normal' circumstances (as with other recent consignments handled by them) the parcels have breezed through their system and arrived at my doorstep within a fortnight of leaving WLT.
To my way of thinking, if a parcel could be 're-sent', (possibly using USPS) and could be clearly shown to have been originally dispatched well before July 1 there is good chance that it would clear Customs without any prohibitive Duty. It would've, for a

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Posted here for the greatest impact.

"Hi Don,

Hope you are doing well,

Just letting you know that both of the orders below have arrived in New Zealand and have cleared customs.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused but I am sure you will understand given the delays in shipping.

Again great to have done business with you and thanks.

Regards,"

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Posted here for the greatest impact.

"Hello folks

Thanks for dispatching the order. Nearly three months on, it was finally delivered. I'm not sure what route it took to get here, but I can't imagine Covid-19 helped. And thanks for adding the label I mentioned; sadly, it made no difference and I got hit with a massive handling fee.

When it arrived, it was clear it had been opened by at least one of the customs/handling services and whilst I think all the leaves are there, there's no glue. Not sure why they'd've taken that out, but it certainly wasn't in the resealed package.

Can you tell me what the glue consists of? I'm going to have to see if I can find something locally that I can substitute for whatever you'd normally use. I'm assuming it's some kind of edible(?) cellulose.

Thanks for your help."

Davo

Thanks @FmGrowit for the above posts. It’s encouraging to know that stuff which has been in transit for quite a while is eventually making it, and that customs are showing some leeway towards orders with original invoices which date to before the cut off.

Given that orders which have previously been shipped direct have arrived, would WLT now consider re-shipping anything that is returned from a freight forwarder? I am aware that some of the significant delays caused at myus are related to the current impact of Covid in Florida.

Looking forward to a response posted here for greatest impact. Chur