Whole Leaf Tobacco

import some leaf into New Zealand

burge

So guys get your tobacco now while there is just a heat treatment charge.

burge

I buy larger during the sale as safe as possible 12lbs does wonders with no real issues this year I would like to get more the exchange rate and such becomes a little more of a challenge.

stic

I'd love to know what the official limit per order is, as far as customs are concerned...I know 11lb is ok, but, how much more before it's deemed not for personal use (even though it is, i'm a HEAVY smoker), or, a commercial quantity?

burge

Not sure about New Zealand. Canada its 15kgs but if you try to order that much I think customs would be a stickler.

ChinaVoodoo

Not sure about New Zealand. Canada its 15kgs but if you try to order that much I think customs would be a stickler.
I also have the impression that NZ is more strict than Canada. Canada is not an island so it is difficult to police, and we also have specific groups who have a cultural and religious right to tax free tobacco; therefore it is pragmatic to exercise a level of reasonable leniency.

burge

I wish it was as easy as getting 32 pounds a year. If it is the buy 2 get one free for members this year to all you have to take advantage of that great deal.

parabolic

I'd so love to order some cigar blend packs from WLT but I just can't pluck up enough guts to risk the order getting damaged during the heat treatment. if there were specific information available about the process and temps It would be nice to know.

burge

Someone did report on the temperature I think it was 170 degrees for 30 mins It would probably be in a stove type chamber. Don't quote me but it would be something like that.

stic

Cigarette, so, maybe not so good for cigar...

I started with Red Leaf (quite a rich and strong smoke), and now Bright leaf (because I can't get red leaf in threshed form), although the heat treatment makes bright leaf almost the same as red leaf...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to dip into a conversation on a topic with which I'm not familiar. Perhaps this may be useful.

The greatest impact of higher heat (your heat treatment) on cigar leaf is that its intrinsic enzymes that allow it to further age may be denatured by the temperature employed in the treatment. But unlike flue-cured tobacco, commercial cigar leaf has already undergone extensive fermentation and aging, and is unlikely to change much beyond that, whether heat treated or not.

If I were in NZ, I would not be reluctant to place an order for commercial cigar leaf--as is offered by WLT.

Bob

burge

Bob Dons leaf I will argue is not commercial leaf per say. The competition Is commercial leaf so that term has to be taken out of the equation. Mind you I am getting virginia however the competition Canadian had no complexity of flavour it stayed the same and did not age. Exceptional tobacco does not have limits to aging and does not go back and will react to being pressed heated etc. A lot of pipe tobacco's are cold and heat pressed to bring out flavour.

JennyLeez

I actually think it improves the tobacco...certainly fine after the treatment...
Oh if only :(
What I am endeavouring to de stem at present is disgusting for want of a better word.
It has been fried to a crisp and is closer to black than brown.
The box I am waiting on is being heat treated by a new treatment provider that has favourable reviews. Once I have this, the burnt mess can go to the dump and yep this will cost me dearly.
Happy I am not :(

Cheers
Jenny

stic

I wrote to the customs agent in NZ who reprimanded me about sending packing slips with the orders to NZ. Unlike invoices, packing slips do not show the shipping charges which is to be included in the calculation for the tax assessed. Needless to say, we send invoice with all order going to NZ now.

· From 01 December 2019, instead of GST being collected on low-value consignments at the border, overseas businesses that sell low-value goods to consumers in New Zealand will collect GST if they are required to be registered.
· They are required to register if their supplies to NZ consumers are likely to exceed NZ$60,000 in a 12-month period.
· An overseas business that is required to register must charge and collect GST on low-value goods they sell to consumers in NZ. They must pay the GST collected to Inland Revenue NZ.
· *However, the changes do not apply to alcohol and tobacco products. GST, excise taxes and Customs duties will be applied at the border regardless of value.
· Imports of unmanufactured tobacco leaf material are subject to normal Customs charges.

it appears as if I read the new law correctly.
While these changes do not apply to alcohol and tobacco products, 'whole leaf' is not considered a 'tobacco product', as it is unprocessed...hence why we don't pay 'excise tax' on it.

If it was deemed a 'tobacco product', we would pay excise tax on it at the border and therefore, it would cost the same per kg as store brought tobacco in NZ (negating our reason to purchase it).

burge

It must be frustrating leaving the tobacco burnt mind you I would try smoking a little bit. Could be like a dark fired.

stic

Looks like i'm not going to be ordering anything before December 1st, so, who knows what's going to happen then...