Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

import some leaf into New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

freedompiper

Found it: "MPI can help you if you're affected by the exercise of Biosecurity Act powers by looking at options to reduce your loss – although you'll need to ask us to do this.". On the Biosecurity Act page I linked above.

burge

Freezing tobacco is the best deal and way to go for treatment if you have that option.

ChinaVoodoo

That's awful, Jenny. You should make inquiries. The big cigar manufacturers like Davidoff freeze treat their leaf before export. It only has to hit -4c for a very short time to kill all the bugs, eggs etc. There is an MPI freeze treatment that takes it to -10c for a week. I'm wondering if that would be less damaging to the leaf than 85c for 15 hours and whether MPI would consider it as an alternate option. It does say on their website somewhere feel free to request an alternate treatment or words to that effect.
The treatment is supposedly to, in addition to killing bugs, kill fungi. They don't die at - 10

JennyLeez

After days of preparation I have emailed MPI with my Compensation Claim. 15 documents all up pleading my miserable case.
So lets see how we go.

parabolic just get Rentokil to do the heat treatment and you should be right. I will certainly be interested as to their response to freezing it instead.

I too have purchased again from WLT so I may ask also.

Just for your interest I am attaching what the WLT Lemon looks like and what my stuck together lemon looked like. A slight difference in colour huh :(

Cheers
Jenny
lemon-before-flick-heat-treatment.jpgflick_heat_treated1.jpgflick_heat_treated2.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from the leaf itself, the plastic of the bags in which the treated leaf has been photographed appear to have had their surface texture altered by the excessive temperature. Stunning.

Bob

EDIT: Kiln temperatures (125 to 130°F) won't do that to polyethylene, and certainly not to laminated poly-nylon.

ChinaVoodoo

I agree with Bob. I don't think the temperatures are what they say they are. I have heated tobacco at 100°C for 12hrs, and its only moderately, and positively altered.

burge

I have had mine on my radiator for a full day and it doesn't do that to the leaf. It is like they have it at 200 degrees. Have you tried smoking it? It looks like a cavendish

parabolic

any update Jennyleez?
I see my delivery has just hit customs today, I wonder how long it takes for them to contact me and what destruction will happen to my order from WLT

Orson Carte

Well, if it's any help, I'm still waiting for a parcel that arrived in NZ on 12 September and I paid GST and Treatment for on 26 September. That's 2 1/2 months ago and over three months since I ordered.
Currently they are telling me that I haven't paid anything and that they will destroy the parcel if I don't respond before Dec 21.
I have sent them proof of payment but no-one seems to know where the parcel is.
And, if you think this is a rare exception, it isn't - I've seen this happen to myself and others several times in the past.
Just imagine what it's going to be like when tobacco parcels arrive here with GST not being charged and collected by the overseas seller and they get mixed up with the tens of thousands of miscellaneous small items being held in bond until a letter is written to the addressee and the GST is paid.

parabolic

Well, if it's any help, I'm still waiting for a parcel that arrived in NZ on 12 September and I paid GST and Treatment for on 26 September. That's 2 1/2 months ago and over three months since I ordered.
Currently they are telling me that I haven't paid anything and that they will destroy the parcel if I don't respond before Dec 21.
I have sent them proof of payment but no-one seems to know where the parcel is.
And, if you think this is a rare exception, it isn't - I've seen this happen to myself and others several times in the past.
Just imagine what it's going to be like when tobacco parcels arrive here with GST not being charged and collected by the overseas seller and they get mixed up with the tens of thousands of miscellaneous small items being held in bond until a letter is written to the addressee and the GST is paid.
sounds like you need to involve a lawyer

JennyLeez

I received this a couple of days ago.

Hi Jennifer,

This is to let you know that we have received your compensation claim valued at $876.91.

An assessor will be appointed to work on your claim and will be in touch in due course.

Kind Regards,

So we wait...................

Parabolic you should be right. I see customs is only sending out Rentokil forms for the Heat treatment now. So far their treatment has been ok.
I had to laugh though. I received email this morning from Rentokil stating there will be a 2 to 3 week delay. Gee what happen to their 7 to 10 days turn around they promised.
I dont think they realised how much wlt was coming into New Zealand. I have suggested they employ more staff :)

Cheers Jenny

Terry

I received this a couple of days ago.

Hi Jennifer,

This is to let you know that we have received your compensation claim valued at $876.91.

An assessor will be appointed to work on your claim and will be in touch in due course.

Kind Regards,

So we wait...................

Parabolic you should be right. I see customs is only sending out Rentokil forms for the Heat treatment now. So far their treatment has been ok.
I had to laugh though. I received email this morning from Rentokil stating there will be a 2 to 3 week delay. Gee what happen to their 7 to 10 days turn around they promised.
I dont think they realised how much wlt was coming into New Zealand. I have suggested they employ more staff :)

Cheers Jenny
Hi Jenny. Terry from Wanganui here. I ordered my first lot of 5lb sampler pack a week or so ago and received the MPI letter on Thursday. It enclosed both Rentokil and Flick's brochures. Chose Rentokil because it was cheaper, but after reading this thread it looks like they are the ones to go for anyway. They said it would be around 3 weeks before sending it back to MPI. I'm assuming it would just be shipped out to me straight away after that? Anyway, it could be that they forgot to enclose the Flick gumph in your letter.

burge

Well hopefully it will be better this time around. Have you by chance tried rehydrating and smoking the leaf? It may be really good. I know with me my order is coming soon it was just a delay due to Black Friday backlog I guess a lot of people were ordering stuff. I called them and got a call today stating they were trying to find out if it was wrapper for duty and posted the link on excise tax for raw leaf tobacco. Your right you will be getting it soon. I don't think it would have made much of a difference. its about 30 bucks. After she called she said I was right it will be coming soon. I told her I have been doing this for a while and will only do things legally just it went to a different customs office, The reason I am sharing this story is because a typical office gets used to people and the order so it becomes automatic except when it goes to another place for inspection so if you can get the same people it may be easier for treatments.

stic

While mine has never been completely 'nuked' as Jenny's was, it does arrive pretty dry and it needs to be hydrated prior to shredding. I steam the bags over the kettle a few times and let rest for a while prior to shredding mine.

Terry, you should have a tracking number with your order; if you go to 17Track online and put the number in, it'll keep you updated on the movement of your item.

freedompiper

Good luck, Jenny. Anyone else had an issue with Rentokil instructing you to ring NZPost to organize a courier? I rang NZPost and they said I didn't have to do that but tracking has not updated. It was my understanding there are no courier fees unless the package is split up.

Orson Carte

Good luck, Jenny. Anyone else had an issue with Rentokil instructing you to ring NZPost to organize a courier? I rang NZPost and they said I didn't have to do that but tracking has not updated. It was my understanding there are no courier fees unless the package is split up.
Yes. I've had a similar note from Rentokil.
I rang and pointed out to 'Nikita' that it is an International parcel prepaid to my door. The only time in the past that the 'extra' courier charge has been applied in the past is when a parcel contains other things as well as tobacco and has to be separated when treated. This 'Nikita' claimed she was 'just carrying out orders'.
So, I'm waiting to see if my parcel, which I paid Rentokil treatment for 2 1/2 months ago will actually be released soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.