Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Indoor grow tent! Swedish snus variety Tofta!

loui loui

Badischer Geudertheimer is from Alsace in France by the southern Germany.
I have heard on youtube that they have grown tobacco as far north as Luleå in Sweden.
The summer is very short in Luleå and it can come frost in the middle of the summer there so I wonder if they had a frost tolerant tobacco variety.

Even if Tofta is coming from the southern Sweden the summer is shorter than in southern Germany / middle of France.
Keep in mind that in the old times they had no electric lights so they could not sow the seeds indoor and they had to harvest and cure before in the autumn so they most likely had a rather short and fast tobacco variety.

Anyway, I am looking for a high nicotine tobacco variety that I can cross Tofta with.

johnny108

Badischer Geudertheimer is from Alsace in France by the southern Germany.
I have heard on youtube that they have grown tobacco as far north as Luleå in Sweden.
The summer is very short in Luleå and it can come frost in the middle of the summer there so I wonder if they had a frost tolerant tobacco variety.

Even if Tofta is coming from the southern Sweden the summer is shorter than in southern Germany / middle of France.
Keep in mind that in the old times they had no electric lights so they could not sow the seeds indoor and they had to harvest and cure before in the autumn so they most likely had a rather short and fast tobacco variety.

Anyway, I am looking for a high nicotine tobacco variety that I can cross Tofta with.
Geudertheimer was last commercially grown in 2014- EU regulations on nicotine limits per cigarette was the reason. Farmers loved it because it required far less hours per season, at a far higher production rate, and better price, than burley varieties, but not as good as “virgin” varieties. (“Virgin” is how google translates it- I don’t know if it means Virginia…)

johnny108

Google translate:
The third type of tobacco cultivated in Germany is the Geudertheimer, although its cultivation is limited to the Rhine Valley with a focus on Rhineland-Palatinate (400 ha). Another 100 ha can be found in Baden-Württemberg. The Geudertheimer belongs to an old, insensitive local variety. It is more robust than the Burley and relatively insensitive to various fungal diseases and viruses. The Geudertheim loves sandy soils. Originally cultivated for the manufacture of cigars, it is now also used as cutting material for cigarette and pipe tobacco.
Source: https://www.statistik-bw.de/Service/Veroeff/Monatshefte/20100105

loui loui

The tobacco is nice to smoke.
I cured it for a few weeks at around 60% humidity and 29°C (84°F).
IMG_20230417_212555~2.jpg
Some leaves are a little bit green but they are all from the same bamboo stick in the center of the tent so it is probably due to uneven air circulation. I can probably improve it for next curing by spreading out the air extraction or adding small fans at the top of the tent.

No matter what the grow was a huge success for being my first tobacco grow. Next time I will not grow for flower and seeds but it was a nice experience to see the plants full life cycle.
I really like the tobacco plant, it is both a usable plant and a decorative plant so it is fun and easy to give seeds to friends and relatives.

The smoke got a special taste, a bit cigar or something but it is nice and the effect is pleasant and relaxing.
I don't have a tobacco cutter so I just crumble some leaves with my hands when I want to smoke. The few thick parts I find I remove like I use to do with bought pipe tobacco.
IMG_20230417_214042_HDR~2.jpg
This was a very fun winter grow and the tobacco was so nice to smoke so I may keep it for smoking so I have some tobacco for smoking without nasty additives.
I don't smoke a lot, a pipe sometimes, typically a package of pipe tobacco will last a month so this tobacco will last a long time for me.
I will probably make a small batch of snus soon just to try it but I am convinced it will be nice.

For the next grow I will tinker a bit with the air circulation in the tent to get an even air flow at the top of the tent for curing.
For growing I will not change a lot, the grow was a huge success for me. Thanks for watching!

Last edited:

Francoisfg

hey Loui
can you give a hand
I am very late for my outdoor plant they are about 1 feet and a half
freeze is coming here in about 3 weeks
I want to transfer them indoor
bulb, 5,000 or 7,5000 Kelvin ?
Time of daylight 12/14/16 hours ?
humidity, the most i can do with the up i will do
tks
François

Francoisfg

no answer i ll try the 5,000 K
anyone know
1 why it needs humidity that much, the leaf drink by the leaf like cedar
2 at what period of the year they grow most 1 started, so i can adjust the light consequently
thousand tks