Whole Leaf Tobacco

Info On Fire-curing

vilbertob

I'm Sorry but I di not know where ask this question.... If you tell me I Will change thread.... Can you tell me if in the Forum there Is a section where I could read about Fire curing some leaves... If I wolud Fire-cure some Bright Virginia leaves how could I do that? :)
And.....Sorry if I write some stupid answer.... It could be easily possible....

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Latakia is fire-cured using different firing woods than traditional fire-curing, but the technique is pretty much the same. For "Kentucky" fire-cured, for example, oak and other hardwood slabs and sawdust are used. So my home-made chamber for making Latakia would be the same (unless you intend to use and entire shed).

The requirement is simply a smoker (like you might use for smoking fish or ham) where the tobacco leaves can be exposed to the smoke without burning.

Simple fire-curing takes about 3 weeks of firing, though you can adjust the duration to the extent of smokiness you prefer. I would begin with fully color-cured leaf.

I used to have a full thread on that in the howtogrowtobacco.com forum (now dead, though an archival copy is still viewable), but I can't locate that thread in the archive.

Bob

vilbertob

Thank you Bob. Your answer Is already complete for me. That forum It Is not viewable for those who have not an account and I have not!!
I Will try to make a Little homemade smoker Chamber in my home balcony..... :) to fire-cure some Bright Virginia Leaves....

Radagast

Quick side question for any experienced members:
Between the Latakia and KDF products with which you're familiar, what are the differences in flavour/nicotine etc. in your opinion?

Charly

If you have never, you should try to smoke both to compare.
I am not an expert in fire curing (I have never fire cured any leaf), but I can say :
- the flavor is not the same (more "incense" for latakia, more "camp fire" for dark fire)
- the nicotine is not the same (very light for latakia, strong for dark fire)

Beren

My experience has always been that Latakia is smokey tasting that is more like burning hardwoods, just tastes like rich smoke, while dark fired has a burning fall leaves kinda taste making it harsher.