Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is Burley Taboo

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdly

I wonder if WLT sells Burley I have never seen it on their site since my short stay here, and have never tried it.
I bought some Maryland as it is described as a milder substitute I am experimenting with it.
As a newbie I would like to try them all and just wondered.

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
You can get it from other sellers...or from your own garden :)

Last edited by a moderator:

stdly

Thanks for the reply's.
I have seen it for sale but wondered if it was a state law or something like that with WLT.
Don't want to open a can of worms.

ChinaVoodoo

I have also wondered this as well. Wait, aren't VA309 fire cured and dark air considered burley? I may be way off here..
Yeah, VA309 is a burley, but dark air is not.

Light air cured = Maryland and burley
Dark air cured = dark air cured and cigar

90% confidence. I may stand corrected.

Amberbeth84

I've wondered about this, too. I've been trying to broaden my palette for tobaccos and in so doing have found that pipe blends containing more burley seem more pleasant too me. It may be a problem with my technique or not drinking enough water when I smoke, but I've also found Virginias to be bite-ier than my liking.

Jb00

I've wondered about this, too. I've been trying to broaden my palette for tobaccos and in so doing have found that pipe blends containing more burley seem more pleasant too me. It may be a problem with my technique or not drinking enough water when I smoke, but I've also found Virginias to be bite-ier than my liking.

Virginia needs to be mixed to even out the ph. Bob has an incredible write-up in his book.

Jacob

Amberbeth84

Virginia needs to be mixed to even out the ph. Bob has an incredible write-up in his book.

Jacob
I get that. Even smoking decent VaPer blends tend to have more bite than I'm willing to tolerate. Part of why I found my way to this forum, so I can take more control of my blends and get to the bottom of what I like amd don't and blend for myself accordingly. And I'm really looking forward to getting to the point of trying out some of Bob's recipes.

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
This is because burley is better ;)

Jb00

I get that. Even smoking decent VaPer blends tend to have more bite than I'm willing to tolerate. Part of why I found my way to this forum, so I can take more control of my blends and get to the bottom of what I like amd don't and blend for myself accordingly. And I'm really looking forward to getting to the point of trying out some of Bob's recipes.

I’ve found that when using a brighter variety of Virginia if you cut maybe 5-10% and substitute red Virginia, it really evens out the tongue bite. But then again everyone’s palate is a little different.

Jacob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
VA 309 is classed as Dark Air-Cured/Dark Fire-Cured. It produces very large, thick leaves. Most of the Dark Air/Fire varieties have fairly sticky leaves when growing (because of increased leaf trichomes). Cured either way, it's pretty hefty stuff, in terms of body and strength. Dark Air-Cured is a separate USDA class from cigar varieties, even though they are both dark, and both air-cured. [The naming conventions are kind of a mess, left over from the primary markets for various leaf from various growing areas of the US during the late 19th century. They are formally called "market classes".]

The only dark air-cured variety that I have grown is Little Yellow, and once kilned, there is no mistaking it for either cigar leaf or burley. It has a rich, warm and rounded aroma profile that is distinctive.

The dark air-cured tobacco offered by WLT (unspecified variety) can be used for pipe blending, and serves to remove tongue bite from Virginia flue-cured blends, while it ratchets up the nicotine. Dark air-cured leaf also can be made into a somewhat tamer Cavendish for blending.

Bob

tullius

But 309 is a burley, no? The dark air likely is too, correct? Regardless of process, they're burleys, right?
(I may be way far off, just trying to understand)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The members of the Dark Air-Cured/Fire Cured market class are not burley. Burley is a separate market class. There is a brief discussion of the various market classes in the WLT Wiki, under the Tobacco Jargon section.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Burley is a monster to novice DIY cigarette smokers. Most people have heard of it and its name recognition is its downfall. Like with Flue Cured types of tobacco, people think all they have to do is shred, stuff, smoke. Nothing can be further from the truth when is comes to Burley. Because Burley requires so much work to make it palatable, we just don't carry it, but offer Maryland 609 in its place because Maryland can get close to the effect Burley has in a blend without all the work.

This might help add to the confusion of classes and types.

Last edited:

ChinaVoodoo

I've noticed that a lot of the people who smoke store bought flavored cavendish are under the impression that their light smooth tobacco is made out of burley. I don't know where the legend came from.

Amberbeth84

I've noticed that a lot of the people who smoke store bought flavored cavendish are under the impression that their light smooth tobacco is made out of burley. I don't know where the legend came from.
I'm not a fan of flavored cavendish for the same reason as I've been put off of Virginias. Most aromatics just taste chemical and have more bite than most Virginia forward blends. I haven't sampled as far and wide as I would like yet, being a broke-ass housewife, but so far my favorite blend to put in my pipe has been D&R Ryback, which according to Pipes and Cigars is burley with dark fired Kentucky. The most palatable blend I've found from a smoke shop tobacco has been Carter Hall, which contradicts what I just said about aromatics, but the common denominator seems to be burley.
Burley is a monster to novice DIY cigarette smokers. Most people have heard of it and its name recognition is its downfall. Like with Flue Cured types of tobacco, people think all they have to do is shred, stuff, smoke. Nothing can be further from the truth when is comes to Burley. Because Burley requires so much work to make it palatable, we just don't carry it, but offer Maryland 609 in its place because Maryland can get close to the effect Burley has in a blend without all the work.
Thank you so much for clearing that up. I'll be sure to get the Maryland then when I finally get an order together on WLT. I've just about got the cigarette smokers in my family convinced to go in on one so I have some practice blending before I have a crop of my own to figure out what the heck am I going to do with it.

skychaser

I find Burleys to be much less work than other types. It's easy to grow and harvest, especially when stalk hung. And it makes beautiful leaf when primed and strung. The down side is that it needs at least 6 months to a year to age before it is smokable and is way to strong for most people without blending it down at least 50% with a mild Virginian. I find it an essential in my cigarette mix at about 30% to get a fuller flavor and nicotine kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.