Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is it time to harvest? - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaside83

Evening all,
This is my first post on here, I found the forum whilst trying to find an answer to my query.

I have never grown tobacco before, so I don't really know what I am doing, but with lockdown happening earlier in the year I fancied giving it a go.
I bought a packet of seeds in April and sowed them during the last week of April - late, I know.
After a slow start I finally planted them in the garden mid June. Since then they have grown well, and now stand around 90cm-1m high. Not massive, I know, but I'm happy with them. They haven't flowered yet, although one is starting to open this week.
The thing is, the leaves are all still green. I have been waiting for them to start yellowing, but it isn't happening!

When should I be harvesting my small crop? Should I pick the leaves, or cut and hang the whole plant?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. The average first frost date for your area is around the first week of December. So whatever you have outside needs to be sheltered before then.

What variety have you grown? How have you fertilized it through the growing season? Intended use? Photos?

Bob

Seaside83

Hi Bob,
Thanks, I'll introduce myself in there shortly!

I have grown a Golden Virginia tobacco, intended to be smoked in roll ups. I have 6 plants in large pots. They are planted in good quality compost and have been watered daily throughout the summer. I read that they don't need additional feeding, just water.

Charly

Welcome to FTT.
If your plants are only showing their flowers, then you should wait more, but maybe the leaves on the bottom of the plants are nearly mature.
Some pictures would be great to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.