Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is this normal ? Different growth rates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempbond

I've seeded a few weeks ago and everything is coming along nicely, but my Florida sumatra is about at 15% growth compared to other varieties. Something wrong with the seeds or is this normal and sumatra grows slower than other tobaccos ?

Here's a picture : IMGP1289 mod very small.jpg

Last edited:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I planted 8 different varieties in the same seed tray. Same soil, water,temp, light everything about 10 days ago. The Comstock is just showing little green sprouts. On the other hand, it has been below freezing here for the last two days so I guess I am just about on schedule. I was starting to get panicky. :mad:

John

tempbond

Perfect example of what pot size will do for the plants. The more room you give them, the bigger they will grow.

I seeded all varieties in the same 12 cell trays and transplanted into bigger Jiffy pots when the plants got too big, but the plants that are in the top right corner of the picture are still in the small trays and I transplanted the Sumatra in Jiffy pots 2 days ago...

BigBonner

Founding Member
The way I get them to catch up is to trim the plants . Im not saying you should or have to trim . When you have 200 plants all the same variety in a 13.5" x 26.5" tray . The same variety seeds will not germinate and grow exactly the same . By trimming the larger leaves and cutting leaves just above the bud will level them out and this will also make a straighter plant stalk .Sometimes the heavey green leaves will crook the stalks on the plants .

Just my opinion.

BarG

Founding Member
I hadn't thought of trimming, or if it would be ok. That would allow more equal light for close quartered seedlings. The ones that do take of faster can block a lot of light or sun from plants in next cell. It makes sense if done without harming trimmed leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.