Whole Leaf Tobacco

Jaffna

CT Tobaccoman

I grew some Jaffna this summer from seed from Northwest. I stalk cut it and air cured it, and it came out a nice medium brown. Supposedly it is high nicotine, like 5%. Does anybody have experience with Jaffna, or knows what I can do with it?

CT Tobaccoman

Very Nice.

Bob
Thank you Bob. So far I haven't yet tried my Jaffna to see how it would work out in a cigarette or cigar blend. According to Northwest Seeds, the nicotine content is very high, 2-3 times the nicotine content of average flue cured. I expect it might be a bit harsh. I want to let it age a bit but I will test smoke it soon, and I'll report back on how it tastes. Thinking I might even sweat it a bit before using it.

CT Tobaccoman

Update on my Jaffna. I use it as filler in my cigarette blend now. To my surprise, once fully fermented, it smoked very mild. Yet it is said to have over 5% nicotine content. Smoother than MD609, Jaffna has similar use as a neutral tasting filler, good for bulking out conventional cigarette blends.

Jaffna was easy to grow, stalk cut, and air cure. It took a while to get the ammonia smell out. I bulked it in small pilone. Leaves tied in hands at stripping. Next year I will probably grow more.