Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

JennyLeez Grow Log 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyLeez

After a week of temps in the low 30°C ( 86°F - 91.4°F ) and sprinklers going around the clock my plants are doing great.

january2_10-01-2019.jpg

january3_10-01-2019.jpg

As you see they are planted ways to close together which in themselves does not matter. But it sure is a mission taking off the laterals and flower buds. I end up a sticky mess and in the shower once done.

Bob you will note my back fence now looks fine :)

My pride in this years grow is slowly turning to anguish with the daunting task of having to harvest it all :)

Charly

Those plants are looking very good !
Congratulations !
(It's so nice to see big tobacco plants while we have nothing in our northern gardens yet)

Thedbs999

Jennyleez WOW, nice looking. Lots of work ahead. Stalk harvesting if you have room to hang them will save a ton of work and time.

Dan

JennyLeez

While you up there are planning your garden layouts and seeds to grow, we down here are harvesting.
It is déjà vu of last year. The plants that have full sun all day are turning yellow while those under shade on the east side are still healthy and thieving. As you can see from the photo they are trying to break out :)

feb2_07_2019.jpg

My mornings are filled up with de flowering, removing laterals, picking leaves from the west side gardens, replacing wet newspaper in my boxes with dry plus shuffling the leaves around, and of course hanging those ready to be added to my production line. This is a very time consuming hobby I have adopted J
The photo below is half the length of my shed and there are 3 lines so far. I have opted to go with the shower rings once again as easy to move them along as I take down the dry brown leaves.

feb_07_2019.jpg

This year I tried not boxing the yellowing leaves and just hung them. This did not work. On the hot days the temperature up top in our shed ranges from 33 to 38°C ( 91 to 100.4°F ). The humidity sits around 20% and there is no wind at all. The leaves just dried out a crispy green spotted/yellowy colour and I have thrown them away.
So hence back to the box idea where the moisture and cooler temperature turns them nicely from green to yellow ready for hanging. Sure it is more work, but it does the trick. My podcasts while away the time :)

I am harvesting Burley and Virginia Gold. I have removed the bottom leaves of the Golden Wilt and I am going to leave the rest to continue to yellow on the bush. I have not tasted Golden Wilt before and I guess I wont for another year while it ages :(

Last weekend I planted out 8 good size YTB plants that basically I only want for seed. I will be growing that next year as it is mild like the Virginia Lemon from WLT and I like mild.

@Thedbs999. I do not have the room to stalk hang. These plants are too big. Thankfully I do not need to as our weather is not as severe as yours up top. Last year I grew through winter however this year I want them all in early so I can have a break :)
Cheers
Jenny

davek14

I only grew about 15 plants last year, but I took all my stalks just last week and burned them on top of some coals from a fire I had made to get rid of trash wood in the yard. Made a nice tobacco-y smell in the neighborhood. I had our closest neighbor in the back ask me about it. We have adjoining back yards and she comes to her back to smoke, as do I. So, she enjoyed the smell.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Observe the distribution and length of major and minor roots, just for your edification. Then:

Compost them or burn them, and maybe even return the carbon to the garden. It is good to get them out of the garden, so that tobacco pests don't over-winter in them.

Bob

JennyLeez

This is our quiet time of the year and I am enjoying empty gardens. I am reading your grow logs and I am pleased I do not have to go to such lengths growing seeds and plants.

I have just ripped out those 8 Yellow Twisted Bud plants that I had grown solely for seed. Those plants grew to the normal NZ East Coast size of 9 feet producing the seeds I wanted. They also produced huge green leaves that I did not want. After dealing with 160 plants I just could not be bothered with these ways too healthy plants so much to the horror of those around me I stripped the leaves off and threw them into the main garden :)

I have finally began to smoke 2017/2018 home grown, my first grow. To say the least, I think I am cool :) Especially when every cigarette I smoke is saving me NZ$1.50c US$0.99c.
Who would have thought I would be able to grow my own that actually tasted ok :)

What I have learnt from the forum which is definitely correct, is to box it away and don’t touch it for at least a year.

Below is a couple of photos I took yesterday of the Golden Wilt plants I have yet to pull out. I had planted 7 along the side of the house away from the rest.
The leaves all went a nice yellow on the plant making it much easier than the VG and Burley. I stripped the leaves off and bagged the flowers for seeds and removed those when ready. The rest of the flowers I left on as they were pretty looking out the windows. Then because I was dealing with 160 stems and roots out back I forgot about those leaf less stems.

The laterals began to grow. I ignored. They kept growing and because the yellowy leaf looked pretty I left them. These plants have become a talking point. They are higher than the house and as you see, heaps of leaves I do not want. They are smaller plus I am done with harvesting this year.
Anyways here they are are below, notice how they are turning a nice yellow for me........ I am still continuing to ignore them.

golden_wilt.jpg

golden_wilt2.jpg

Cheers and good luck with your grows and harvesting. I hope you are enjoying your Summer as you only have it on loan. We down here plan to take it back in a few months :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Impressively tall plants. I never knew Golden Wilt could do that.

The photos show leaf that has actually cured itself, despite being ignored. No boxing and paper layers and rotating and fussing. It's calling out. A bit of dry, indoor winter air, and they would be ready to hide away and be forgotten. Your willingness to define your limits, and stick to them is definitely advantageous in agricultural matters.

Congratulations on a great season.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.