Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

JennyLeez Grow Log 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyLeez

Mid September 2018

Spring was meant to be here down under come the middle of September. Instead our temps were well under the average which of course made growing seeds just that much more difficult. Those heat lamps will have increased my power account no end.

While you up there are harvesting and drying we down here are planning our attack on our 2019’s grow.

I have 3 trays as below with a combination of seeds from 2017/2018 Burley and Virginia gold seeds. I also have a tray of Golden Wilt seeds that were sent to me by another kiwi grower.

tray1_2018.jpg

Growth was slow but I knew once the weather warmed up this would increase.

Meanwhile I was out back increasing the size of my garden. This was slow going as my rotary hoe needed an upgrade.

rotary_hoe2.jpg

The rotary hoe on the other side of my backyard had completely gone on strike and was inside watching golf on the telly.

rotary_hoe1.jpg

And these two are of no use at all :)

mates2.jpg

and so begins another season of planting, growing, watering, topping, picking, colouring, drying etc etc etc
Would it not just be easier to give up my habit altogether :)

Cheers
Jenny

JennyLeez

End of September 2018

The weather finally broke and the sun had a bit more heat to it. This meant I could turn off the heat lamps and move my trays outside under the decking and under the filtered sun light.

So far I have separated 144 tiny burley and Virginia plants and they are doing real well.

trays4_2018.jpg

Meanwhile out back, the garden extension is slowly, ever so slowly, being completed.

rotary_hoe3.jpg

I shall probably leave it here as I really now need to move 2017 composting into all gardens.

Upon advice I have purchased 8 pounds from WLT and will stop smoking my own home grown. I have boxed up the last of what I grew 2017 – 2018 which is about 2/3 of my harvest. I will now leave all my precious leaves to age until next year. This way I should get a head by a year and not run out as I was doomed to do. The last thing I now want to do is to go back to purchasing cigarettes from the stores. The govt. can just find other ways to extract taxes from me :)

Charly

Good start !
Do you plan on growing tobacco in this newly dug spot ? If so, the tree in the middle will stunt your plants !

Good luck for this new year's crop

CobGuy

It's fun to watch others just starting seeds while the rest of us are just finishing harvest.

Thanks and good luck ... beautiful pups, too! :)

~Darin

JennyLeez

Yes Charly, tis surely a tree. But I am slowly raising up the bed with soil, compost, lawn clippings etc
Once the roots go so far down they will then branch side wards. Well thats what they did last year :)

Yes correct Darin. I read your logs and I feel like I have 'missed the boat' some how :)

Cheers

stic

Manawatu is still too cold...

My seeds still haven't germinated...they are out in the first sun in days right now...

Plot is dug over and ready though...late planting and harvest maybe, but they reckon we're gonna have a long hot summer...

JennyLeez

stic I reckon through the years our seasons have slowly been pushed on a month. I use to plant vegie seeds back in August but not anymore. Now I plant around 2nd to 3rd week of September once the weather breaks. This year as with you, September and into October has by and large been cold and wet. We have had a few warmer days of recent and my plants are now starting to take off. The below were planted 5 weeks ago. Covered in garden soil. I separated 3 trays 3 weeks later again into garden soil and in the last week 2 more trays. Today with rain, hail and a bitter wind chill they are in my workshop.

So considering the weather they are doing well :)

october_13_2018.jpg

Cheers
Jenny

stic

Yeah, last year, I had seedlings bigger than yours by the end of September.

I have an old 'pool' room on the end of my garage, plenty of large windows and it's quite warm in there, so my trays are in there and hopefully, they germinate soon.

TBH, it doesn't take long from seedling to fully grown, but I have run out of last season's leaf, lasted me from January to September (only managed 10 plants, as first time growing; looking for 30-40 this season).

Lucky for me, it was my 50th last Friday, so I got a few 50g's of Winfield for presents (told everyone, tobacco or nothing thanks)...

Still on that, then it's either convince the wife to let me buy some whole leaf from the US or use my electronic cigarette until harvest time...

JennyLeez

stic since buying from:
https://www.wholeleaftobacco.com

I am wondering why I am actually bothering to grow it.
Order - wait - grind - smoke :)
A lot less back breaking.
Mind since I have dug up half my lawn I had better grow it this year at least otherwise my husband may start questioning my mentality...lol

Cheers
Jenny

stic

It does look that way, but, even if I do order some, I'll still grow my own, maybe age it.

You never know when the smoking nazi's will ban importation, and it'd be nice to have a year or two's tobacco stockpiled...

Smoke free NZ my arse, they'll never stop me...

ChinaVoodoo

It does look that way, but, even if I do order some, I'll still grow my own, maybe age it.

You never know when the smoking nazi's will ban importation, and it'd be nice to have a year or two's tobacco stockpiled...

Smoke free NZ my arse, they'll never stop me...
And they know how much you imported, who you are and where you live.

Orson Carte

As far as I know, I don't think that there's any limit to what a New Zealander can import and 'stockpile'.
Provided you 'import' in quantities smaller than what Customs consider a 'commercial quantity' (which essentially means valued at less than NZ$400, including freight) there is no restriction on what you are holding - provided you are not trying to on-sell it.
Some confusion arises with the fact that, in growing your own there are a number of restrictions; principally that it must be solely for personal use and you're not permitted to have in your possession more than 15kgs of dried leaf at any particular time.
It is my understanding (unless anyone can demonstrate to the contrary) that these restrictions on home-grown tobacco do not apply to imported unprocessed whole-leaf.

stic

I was talking about stockpiling my own, home grown tobacco, while smoking the imported stuff...just in case the government decided to close the door on importation...

...probably around the time they make alcoholic drinks readily available next to the chewing gum in shops and dairies...

Talk about give with one hand and take with the other...

Also...I have 3 small little green leaves in one of my seed trays...:giggle:

JennyLeez

You are not wrong there stic.

For some reason the powers that be don’t consider alcohol to be a health risk, or an addiction, or contributing to domestic violence, or being purchased instead of food for the table.

Although still expensive, alcohol does not appear to be portrayed as evil as tobacco and that ‘other stuff’ and yet alcohol is far more damaging in every respect.

What I don’t get is the rows and rows of alcoholic drinks lining our supermarkets. Their weekly catalogues contain pages and pages of alcoholic specials and yet where is my tobacco? Its hidden away in cupboards. Likewise filters and papers. In many cases the cupboards are not even in the store but out the back. The retailers will not let you look in the cupboards; they can not tell you what they have and what is the cheapest. You have to ask for exactly what you want so there is no favouritism among the brands. How stupid is this :rolleyes:

Well thats my rant and tuppence worth :)

stic

I know, right?

At our local supermarket, as you walk in the door you have fruit and vegetables on the left, and about 10,000 liters of beer and wine on the right...

You even have a good choice of 'discount' price beers and wine, while my outrageously priced (taxed) tobacco is locked away and I have to specifically ask for a brand and quantity before the staff member cracks the door just enough for their arm (one assumes, because the site of tobacco products might give other shoppers cancer) and slams the door shut once they have my evil packet of death in their hand!

It sure is a strange PC world we live in nowadays...:rolleyes:

And to think, when I was 12, I used to sit in class while my teacher sat at her desk, smoking away...the good old days huh...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The United States had it's fling with prohibition of alcohol a hundred years ago. A constitutional amendment, no less. But it failed miserably, and spawned a massive, illegal industry and national crime wave. Since most politicians were not enthusiastic about the ban to begin with, they cheerfully repealed that amendment 14 years later, and never looked back. So...alcohol is here to stay.

Nearly the same process occurred with the now popular psychotropic weed, but in a kind of slow motion. Tobacco is presently the unfortunate object of passionate moral agendas in high places.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

retail smokes oregon.jpgretail smokes oregon 1.jpg

Retail cigarette prices in State of Oregon, US. Smaller price for one pack of 20. Larger prices for one carton of 10 packs. No retail sales tax in Oregon. FYI. (US dollars of course.)

Wes H.

JennyLeez

Gee Wes is that what real cigarette packets look like. Our packets are all the same. Dark blue with ugly cancer pictures plastered on them. They all look the same except the brand name.

....the staff member cracks the door just enough for their arm (one assumes, because the site of tobacco products might give other shoppers cancer) and slams the door shut.....

Isn't that absolutely ridiculous.
And we humans are meant to be the most intelligent of all creatures.
Jenny *shakes her head*

Status
Not open for further replies.