Whole Leaf Tobacco

K.I.S.S. Dip Recipe

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
Tonight I'm working on improving and experimenting to fine tune a dip recipe. I have the basic recipe working well now and am happy with the results.

KISS Base Dip recipe
100g tobacco, any kind, I use burley, smoked dark tobacco or a mix.
Leaf is oven dried, color cured and smoked but not cured or aged like smoking tobacco. After oven drying a couple hours, I run the whole leaf into a blender or food processor till fine, then run through a screen to remove larger pieces of tobacco stems and bits of wooden spoon used to push tobacco leaf into cutting blades as needed.

20210930_133816.jpg
10g salt. NaCl Some people recommend sea salt. I can't taste a difference but use sea salt anyway. Supports small business around the world.
7g licorice root powder for fuller flavor and at this amount wont taste like candy.
7 to 10 g sodium carbonate( depending on tobacco)
110g water. Tap water is fine unless you have very heavily mineralized water.
5 g Food grade glycerin (3 to 7g range) for mouth feel, sweetening and keeps it moist. Humectant and preservative
Heat water and dissolve salt, glycerine, sodium carbonate and licorice powder.

20211011_202427.jpg
Add tobacco and mix well. If the tobacco isnt moist appearing, not wet, add a bit more water. Dry tobacco will not cook evenly.20211011_201643.jpg

Cook in pressure cooker in sealed jars or oven bags for 2-3 hours at 15 psi. If using an oven, jars in a pan of water at 250 degrees will give same sterilizing temperature.
20211011_204725.jpg

20211011_204743.jpg
Allow to cool then stir open jars a few times a day sitting on counter. Any flavorings ( casings) can be added at this time.. Wintergreen, mint apple, citrus etc. After a few days its ready to use. This is my go to base recipe. I am still experimenting but it has wonderful texture and taste. I smoke my color cured leaf, in high case with mesquite pellets for great, to me, taste. Hickory, oak or any common wood used for smoking would work.

I researched many dip recipes online and on the FTT website and got basic information for my own experiments from Cobb/Goots, Jitterbugdude, Squeezy John, Tullius and online videos.

Tobacco I am using and have grown is Madole, Little Yellow and Black Mammoth as dark air/firecured types. Many burleys and a few Virginias to blend. Dark air tobacco are the best for dip because of their high nicotine, leaf weight and substance. Burleys are lower in nicotine but still are plenty high for good dip. Virginias dont have a high nicotine level but am experimenting with them for taste blendings. I have rustica but havent gone there yet. Im sure Ill get squirreled on something new before I grow them.

Attachments

• 20211011_202846.jpg
    20211011_202846.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211011_203901.jpg
    20211011_203901.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 6

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
First pint out of oven. Strongly out gassing like its has been doing. Usually takes 3 days to sweeten the smell but taste is good by next morning and very good in 3 days. Nicotine levels seem higher than commercial. Texture isn't the same but unless you cook it a long time and break down the fibers it also good and you adapt readily. Pinches and hold together perfectly and doesn't dry out with the food grade glycerol. Moisture level has gotten easier to adjust after a few batches. Just make sure when you mix dry tobacco flour with the wet ingredients that you arent afraid to add a few ounces of water beyond the 110 grams initially added.
Will compare the different tweaks of the 5 jars in a few days after it mellows a bit. The smokiness will come thru subtly after a couple days.20211012_003235.jpg