Whole Leaf Tobacco

Krausen89 2020 First Grown (burley)

Krausen89

Found a spot on my porch to hang leaves that came off during the storm. Supposed to thunderstom the rest of the week so humidity should be good.

Should i be moving the hands around or should they be good to color cure? I have face to face and stem to stem, about 3 leaves per hand

Attachments

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Found a spot on my porch to hang leaves that came off during the storm. Supposed to thunderstom the rest of the week so humidity should be good.

Should i be moving the hands around or should they be good to color cure? I have face to face and stem to stem, about 3 leaves per hand
It depends on the humidity. The higher the humidity over about 70%, the more air flow you will need to prevent rot or mold, and the further apart you need to spread the leaves. A fan will helpful. If the humidity is low, you can hang the leaves closer to slow down the drying and prevent drying green. You may even need to hang towels as a wick from a bucket of water to raise humidity or wet the floor. If the humidity is swinging up and down you may need to move it to an enclosed space where you can open and close doors. If the humidity is low during day and goes high at night, you can close the door in the evening to trap the humidity inside in the sweet spot and then open the door in the morning or mid morning. A fan is helpful when humidity is high. A hygrometer and thermostat is helpful during curing. Everyone’s cure is different due to the difference in everyone little microclimate. What works for me in the heat and humidity in the southeast may not work for you. Sometimes I have to carefully monitor what’s going on and fight the humidity swings like when it rains. A three day average is what I shoot for. The humidity can shoot up a couple days but more than that there may be problems. Sometimes nature provided the sweet spot and I can sit back and let it do its thing. You need to stay on top of it.

Krausen89

It depends on the humidity. The higher the humidity over about 70%, the more air flow you will need to prevent rot or mold, and the further apart you need to spread the leaves. A fan will helpful. If the humidity is low, you can hang the leaves closer to slow down the drying and prevent drying green. You may even need to hang towels as a wick from a bucket of water to raise humidity or wet the floor. If the humidity is swinging up and down you may need to move it to an enclosed space where you can open and close doors. If the humidity is low during day and goes high at night, you can close the door in the evening to trap the humidity inside in the sweet spot and then open the door in the morning or mid morning. A fan is helpful when humidity is high. A hygrometer and thermostat is helpful during curing. Everyone’s cure is different due to the difference in everyone little microclimate. What works for me in the heat and humidity in the southeast may not work for you. Sometimes I have to carefully monitor what’s going on and fight the humidity swings like when it rains. A three day average is what I shoot for. The humidity can shoot up a couple days but more than that there may be problems. Sometimes nature provided the sweet spot and I can sit back and let it do its thing. You need to stay on top of it.
Thanks, Over the next couple days it looks like Humidity will be about 80% in the AM and then 50% PM. take them down and move them a bit every day until they start to turn. i placed them out of the way so its not much ventilation through. i have to get a roof on my curing shed so they have better ventilation. Too much going on and never enough time. What would you say the sweet spot it?

Oldfella

Oldfella
Damn. Glad you are ok. I hate those things.
I'm pleased that you are Ok and no major damage was done. I guess I'm lucky to be living where I do. Being at the most if I drive to the west coast ( Tasman sea ) say, 10 minutes, and the East coast ,(Pacific Ocean), Say 15 minutes. So storms that come though tend to go to either side of us. Rain and wind usually take the bypass and just give us the run off from the hills.
Oldfella