Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kullas New kiln build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kullas

As i have said in another post, my box i was going to use is not going to do it for me so off to build another. I will be posting pics along the way. and asking some questions im sure.
Here is what i have done so far. I built a controller box that i could use on any box i decide to use. I will be using a cabinet for the box i will post a pic of it later this evening.
The controller uses a temp controller and a humidity controller wired to separate outlets. I going to try and use a humidifier and a heat lamp and 2 fans

Brown Thumb

I never done that idea so I can't help out much.
Seems like it could work if if the humidifer dident mind the higher temps.

kullas

I'm going to give it a try if it don't work I got a crock pot ready to take over. I like the idea of having control of the temp and the humidity independently

kullas

here is the cabinet the inside detentions are 74" tall 47" wide and 23" deep. There is a shelf 14" down from the top. my plan is to cut 2 5" holes one on each side of the shelf. The one on the left will house a fan blowing down and another fan on the very bottom right of the cabinet blowing up.

On the shelf is where i want to put the humidifier and heat source. Im looking for input on using the shelf. Use it like im thinking or take the shelf out and put the heat and humidity source on the bottom.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I recommend running the fan full time, instead of cutting on and off with temp or humidity. I used a bathroom exhaust fan, it's made for the humidity and is holding up to the temps just fine. Use a fan speed control switch and not a light dimmer. Here's the fan and switch I use.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_26506-14-688___?productId=1076121&pl=1&Ntt=broan+bathroom+exhaust+fan
http://www.lowes.com/pd_155213-539-...381&pl=1&Ntt=lutron+ceiling+fan+speed+control

The bathroom exhaust fan comes with a 110v male plug, simplifying the wiring.

kullas

Insulation? If the wood is laminate, it will likely need protection from the humidity.

Bob

Tomorrow it will be getting a couple coats of of varnish and will have to wait until tues to get the insulation.

I recommend running the fan full time, instead of cutting on and off with temp or humidity. I used a bathroom exhaust fan, it's made for the humidity and is holding up to the temps just fine. Use a fan speed control switch and not a light dimmer. Here's the fan and switch I use.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_26506-14-688___?productId=1076121&pl=1&Ntt=broan+bathroom+exhaust+fan
http://www.lowes.com/pd_155213-539-...381&pl=1&Ntt=lutron+ceiling+fan+speed+control

The bathroom exhaust fan comes with a 110v male plug, simplifying the wiring.

I like that fan control i will be picking one of those up when i get the foam. I didnt mention it but there is another outlet for the fans i didnt want to run to much off one plug. I think i will pick up one of those fans also in case one of mine bites the dust

Knucklehead

Founding Member

kullas

Got the varnish on and I will get the other stuff Tuesday and hope to finish it and get it up and running.

kullas

Don't you love rhetorical questions after the fact?

Bob
Yea I do :). Actually it was not a true varnish. I have a bad habit of calling all clear finishes varnish. It is rustoloum water based polyurethane. I thaught that a better choice than oil based. After I get the foam in I plan on letting it run for a couple days with heat only to let it all off gas.

kullas

Well Tues came and went and no work on the kiln. Working night shift sometimes gets in the way. But today i got alot done. Here is a pic of the work about to start

kullas

They didnt have tyvek tape but they did have aluminum tape so i used that. I got 2 rolls but needed 3

kullas

I hate aluminum tape.

I got it running after a couple tests. I set the temp to 95 and the humidity 65. Both was set with a 5 degree fall before they kick on. this was about 10 min after startup starting temp was 74 and humidity 47

kullas

Here is it after it hit 95 and kicked off and dropped 5 degrees and kicked back on. It took about 7 min for it to drop and the humidifier cycled once. I set it to 130 with a 5 degree drop so it dont fall much under 125. I could do some settings changes on the temp to get and keep it closer to 125. i still got some work to do in it and how the humidifier is going to work out is still up in the air. If it dont its 2 bucks shot i picked it up a yard sale. I still need to fix a rack system so i can move the leaf from the barn right into the kiln. Good think i have several months before im ready to harvest next years backer.

Status
Not open for further replies.