Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Latest batch of snus

wruk53

Made another batch of snus last week using a mix of dark air cured and katerini flours. 80% dark air and 20% katerini. I used the Squeezyjohn water bath method and once again it turned out really good. I used my instant pot this time on the low warm setting. It maintained a temp of 176F on that setting, so I cooked it 45 hours for the initial cook and 10 hours for the alkalizing cook. I tested my pot on the slow cook settings first and they were all too hot. The Instant pot automatically shuts itself off after 10 hours on the warm setting, so you have to periodically turn it off and restart it. Not a big deal for me, I'm retired and stay home most of the time anyway. Proportions used were: 240g of dark air, 60g of katerini flours, hydrated at 66% (about 200g of water). 21g of salt. 21g of sodium carbonate mixed with about 40g of water for the second cook. It was a little bit bitter, so I added a small amount of mulethi powder to balance it out and provide some sweetness.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Belated welcome to the forum @tattooer601, you sneaky lurker. (You're almost a founding member!) Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. Please post your detailed, step-by-step, snus recipe in a new thread in the Smokeless forum. I'm currently attempting to assemble all the smokeless recipes.

Bob

wruk53

Cool, Do you mostly make your own Snus?
I made it long ago.
Just started back, 2 months ago...doing a full pound this time.
Yes, I've been making my own for a few years now. I started out buying whole leaf from WLT, then started growing my own. I've made some very good and some very bad snus. I pretty much have it down pat now. I use the squeezyjohn method, If the tobacco used is of good quality, you can't hardly go wrong.