Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Learned my lesson

Jbg

I first bought leaf from only a different company than WLT, then bought from them. Haven't even opened the tobacco from WLT and already know I will never buy from the other bunch ever again.

The other bunches "low grade" is just that, nothing unexpected. But... I bought a pound of their "good" burley and im not even close to impressed, while they seem to be mostly intact it was completely out of case (not a real big deal) in the three leaves I took out the entire stem is moldy ( I need those!), lots of grit on it and several hidden pockets of mold/yeast hid in the wadded up leaves.

Never again.

Jbg

Quick update, opened the WLT burley and every stem its moldy and some mold (mildew) on the lamina. Oh well, guess im down to using my fire cured stems, also have some unopened WLT hand tied flue cured Virginia bright leaf and flue cured Virginia red leaf that maybe I can save the stems from. Or maybe I should take up smoking.

plantdude

I think getting an ocassional slightly moldy mid rib or two is normal. Bad batches happen ocassionally though and mold can takeoff overnight. If you got leaves with a lot of mold on it let Don know - that would be an inferior product and I would expect given his history of good customer service he would find a way to make it right.

ChinaVoodoo

It is my understanding that most burley mid-rib mold comes from the farm. The lamina dries in several weeks, while the stems can take a couple months, leaving them more susceptible to mold. A long and slow air curing phase is beneficial to the quality of the leaf itself, so mid-rib mold is a side effect which is tolerated.

Levi Gross

In the case of using the stems and leaf for dip/snuss, One can see where the mold would become an issue.
However, in the case of smoking, the combustion process eliminates the mold spores... Leaving only the dilemma of; did the mold affect the taste of the leaf. I am not sure where to find it right off but, Deluxestogie I believe had provided some very helpful insight into the truth and false aspects of mold on whole leaf tobacco.

Jbg

One question, is burley supposed to smell kinda like broccoli? Slightly musty broccoli?

Alpine

Not to my knowledge. Burley, especially the stronger tasting strains, can strongly smell of ammonia during the first week in the kiln, and usually requires longer aging times even after a month or more in the kiln.
I can taste hazelnut in my burley but broccoli? Not at all. Maybe your burley needs some more aging and airing.

pier

Jbg

weeeellll...I have now opened and went thru 3/4 of the pound bag of burley from wlt and its just as moldy if not more so as the burley from only leaf. 99% of the stems are trash and there is a fair bit of mold/mildew on the lamina. So much for using the stems for snuff.

the question now is, when i grow my own how do i keep this from happening so much. I'll be dealing with pounds not tons like the commercial farmers so there must be a way to mitigate the mold issue even if its not fesible on a large scale.
As stated above i want the stems for snuff/snus making and mold is a major health concern for smokeless.