Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics} 2021-24

Snowblithe

I built this garden box today to replace and expand the previous dilapidated one. This week I need to acquire .8 something cubic meters of dirt to fill it in. It is made from scrap and some 1”x6” boarding I found in rafters of the garage. Basically free. This is the first garden box I have ever built and I was just pleased that it was within 5mm of square being 4’x8’. My wife took this candid photo. 4A60ABDC-77A0-4F00-8CA9-AEC96286314A.jpeg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tasty Greens

Garden20210617_5771_BokChoi_500v.jpg

This baby Bok Choi is delicious raw, as a salad, and unlike celery and lettuce, bok choi actually provides some nutrition. I grew it primarily as a cooking green for some Chinese cooking. It's major drawback is that however much is planted will mature nearly synchronously. So it has to be planted in waves every couple of weeks--something I did not do.

My Country Gentleman Corn re-stood itself following my recent storm. The Delicata squash is nominally a "winter" squash, but its rind is tender. So it can be cooked without peeling, and eaten like a summer squash. The Chinese eggplant was supposed to go along with my bok choi, but the bok choi will be completely gone by the time the eggplant fruit is ripe.

Garden20210617_5770_CornSquashEggplantOkra_700.jpg

Local deer have decided that they will specialize in grazing my okra plants down to the ground. (Must be southern deer.)

Bob

GreenDragon

Our vines are doing well. Purple Hyacinth on the right (for the humming birds) and luffa's on the left. You can see that the luffa has already started to climb the tree behind it. Those things can climb! Last time I grew some they grew 30 ft up into my sweetgum tree, and by late summer had many 2 ft long gourds hanging randomly from the tree. Everyone always asked what kind of tree it was. I told them it was a rare South American Pod Tree :LOL:

vines.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20210623_5783_porchCorner_600.jpg

Last November, I planted garlic in my front porch corner bed. They have been entirely ignored since. (I did cut off the scapes from the Anka a couple of weeks ago.) Today was the day to dig them. I'll allow them to toast in sunlight to wilt, then hang them in the shed to dry.

I'm hoping that with the garlic gone, the stunted corn (purely decorative) will take off. Now I have to decide if I want to plop a tobacco leftover or two into the bed (purely decorative).

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
After an hour of wilting yesterday, the garlic could be divided into manageable bunches, and the greens tied into a square knot for hanging. I just drape them over the cord in the shed, making sure the knot is being compressed by the rope. With the hard neck garlic, only the tippy tips of the greens can be tied.

Garden20210624_5791_garlic_hangingInShed_600.jpg

They will stay there until the greens are completely browns. I often just forget about them for a couple of months. Prior to hanging, I knock off the small clods of dirt from the heads. Once they are dry, the remaining dirt just gets peeled off with the dried, outer skin. (Washing the dirty garlic heads at this stage will usually result in split heads and mold.)

Bob

billy

Some pepper pictures. My 7 pot douglahs, a nice 1.85m scovilles of fun. They are on week 22 since seed and finally starting to get baby peppers. Think ill over winter these and put them in larger bags next year, they should keep getting bigger like a tree.
P_20210624_173049.jpgP_20210624_173100.jpg

Tobasco peppers in 55 gallon drum. I have 2 barrels of these to make hot sauce that is actually edible by humans, the douglahs ill probably make 1 bottle and use the rest for insect reppelant spray on plants
P_20210624_173157.jpg