Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics} 2021

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Ground Chili Pepper Comparison

Garden20190103_4111_GoldenCalWonder_powder_600.jpg

Golden California Bell in 2018.

I recently made a pot of chili using the (now dark) Golden California Bell pepper powder. It has a distinct chili powder aroma, and a detectable, though mild heat.

Garden20211113_6115_GoldenBell_from2018_600.jpg

Same 2018 Golden California Bell in 2021.

Here are all 3 of them. I expect the two new ones to gradually change color and aroma.

Garden20211113_6116_groundPepper_comparison_600.jpg

Comparison.

Bob

PressuredLeaf

Got my fall/winter veggie garden going.

So far I have planted garlic, onions (bunching and bulb), leeks, shallots, potatoes, tomatoes, parsley, cabbage, and fava beans.

This year I also tilled in a couple of yards of "biochar" aka charcoal dust, instead of compost. The claim is biochar doesn't break down while improving the soil CEC and providing a home for microbes. If this works out in the desert, this would be awesome for long term soil improvement. The problem with compost is the mineralization rate is crazy high, so the compost burns up very quickly, and it can dump alot of salt in the soil if you add to much. Last year when I broke ground on this garden, I added 8yds of compost to this ~1000ft2 garden. One year later, it looks like I never added anything.
IMG_4496.jpgIMG_4497.jpg

PressuredLeaf

Very nice. It's difficult for me to think of that as a November garden.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I'll have to build a hoop house or something similar for the tomatoes (and potatoes) once the nights get colder, but everything else should be okay. My hope is giving the tomatoes a big jump on the season will allow them to grow a nice strong root system. Then, once the weather warms up in spring, the tomatoes will kick into high production before the summer heat cooks them.