Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me, and I wanted caffeine, I'd toast some yaupon holly leaves and grind them with the seeds. I think yaupon holly is the only caffeine producing plant native to North America. I have plans for next summer's garden that involve a few different varieties of okra, and stuffing the leaves like grape leaves in dolma.
I drink one large mug of coffee each morning, and none the remainder of the day. I am aware of the quality of the coffee (fresh-roasted, freshly ground Yirgacheffe, etc.) for only about the first 3 or 4 sips. After that, the rest of the mug is just coffee. I've decided to go with much less costly coffee, and forego the few sips of pricey, gourmet pleasure.

When camping or backpacking, Taster's Choice instant coffee has been just about the only coffee I've consumed over the decades. I gag for the first few sips, then forget to even notice that it's not presentable coffee.

My mother entered adulthood during WW2 and the post-war epoch of "modern convenience". Instant coffee was just about the only coffee she drank for her entire life. When she was in her mid-fifties, I served her some of the finest coffee I could conjure. She grimaced, swallowed hard, and smiled. "It's very nice, sweetie." She hated it.

If coffee became unavailable commercially, then I might consider the time, effort and attention required to grow and manufacture an alternative for myself. Otherwise, growing tobacco and food pretty much monopolize my available labor and focus.

Arabica beans may become rare, given the current disease issues with it worldwide. So all of us may be drinking coffee made mostly from robusta beans in the near future anyway.

Bob

drinkthekoolaid

Bob,

In regrads to Coffee, have you tasted any of the Cafe Bustelo line? Its really Espresso but I prep it normal drip Coffee style. It doesn't seem to have that bitterness profile of other Espresso's. I know traditionally high pressure Espresso is to be drank quicky. Its cheap, $2.50 for a brick of it at the dollar store. Pairs well with Tobacco, but hell, what Coffee doesn't?

IMG_20181209_075023_669.jpg

OldDinosaurWesH

Do squirrels eat Italian Prunes?

There is an Italian Prune tree two houses down, and my yard seems to be littered with partially nibbled on Italian Prunes. Pesky critters!

I already have volunteer English and Black Walnut trees all over my yard that I'm constantly cutting down. I already know who the furry little culprits are in those cases.

Also, I didn't know that Ravens eat English Walnuts, but the black critters are swarming on the neighbor's yard trying to pick the fallen nuts up and fly away with them. I tried an experiment and walked over there and crushed a couple of whole nuts on the pavement with my foot. Sure enough, said nuts disappeared pretty quickly.

When I lived in Olympia (on the saltwater) I used to watch the Ravens dig up clams, fly up to the nearby parking lot, and drop said clams on to the pavement. The impact broke the clam open making a quick meal for the crafty bird. A pretty clever way to get a meal. Ravens are pretty intelligent critters, and very adaptable. I guess that is why Ravens are so widely distributed around the world.

Wes H.

CobGuy

Ravens are pretty intelligent critters, and very adaptable.
Extremely smart and sociable birds, indeed!
One very windy day, I sat and watched half a dozen Ravens take turns hopping out to the end of a bare tree branch.
Once there, they would swing upside down and hang on in the high wind as long as possible ... even hanging by one leg.
After the wind had finally won, they would fly a quick circle and get back at the end of the line while the next bird hopped out to the end.
Fascinating to say the least! :)

~Darin