Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
March Garden

My Slovenian Anka garlic (toward the rear of the bed) is just beginning to show. The soft-neck Czech Broadleaf always produces greater leafage, as well as larger heads, with 12 to 16 cloves per head. The Anka predictably yields somewhat smaller head, with exactly 8 cloves per head. Anka has a spicier (hotter) taste when very fresh, but smooths out to a finer aroma, after a few months of storage. The best thing about my garlic is that I haven't given it the slightest thought or attention since November, and won't need to do anything with it until mid June.

Every winter, my grapes require heartless pruning. I used to be more aggressive about that. But these vines are now senior citizens, and require a bit of respect.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Breaking News!

My first veggies for 2020:

What is it? I'm not sure. But I can narrow it down to two possibilities. Two cells received Chinese eggplant seeds, and two cells received yellow Cherry Tomato seeds. Their cotyledons look identical (and just like tobacco, since they are from the same plant family). I didn't bother to squander a perfectly good Popsicle stick on labeling them. Once the first pair of true leaves comes out, which is which will become obvious.

This little tub (a mushroom tub from the supermarket) with its insert were sitting on a seedling heat mat. But now, with greenery showing, it needed to be promoted to a sunny spot.

Bob

MadFarmer

I'm looking forward to saving seed from the chard, it's an interesting red/orange and was the only plant to survive a succession of hard freezes we had in Nov/Dec.

IMAG1368_1.jpg

The purple stems are a Chinese broccoli that I saved seeds from a few years ago, and then forgot about. Around New year's I tested them just for viability and decided to stick a few under the grow lights in the garage. Spring coming in how it did I wish I'd filled the garden with them. Three plants and we've harvested from them regularly for weeks.

Attachments