Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

let's see your veggie garden {pics}

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
1 of my veggie gardens, and what goes good with veggies, bacon and ham, my beefsteak, and better boys, black diamond , cantaloupe, potatoes are across my drive

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_162532632_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20200506_162532632_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200506_162628837_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20200506_162628837_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200507_5083_GarlicBed_600.jpg

This is the garlic (Czech broadleaf in the near half, and Slovenian Anka in the far half) that I planted in early November. I've ignored it since, other than to pull a few weeds. It still has another 4 or 5 weeks to grow, after which I will dig all of it, and hang it in the shed to dry.

Then that bed will convert from European Garlicism to the Japanese Kabocha persuasion.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200513_5095_28ClothespinsForTent_600.jpg

It took 28 clothespins to secure the Agribon tent over my corner porch bed and the plant starts out on the porch. This morning, I removed them all, and wadded up the already well used Agribon sheet. Then I got to carry the eight 1-gallon jugs of water back into the house. The Great May Freeze is over.

How did everything survive? The 1020 tray full of various veggie and flower starts enjoyed the thermal ballast of all but one of those jugs of water, plus it had the 1-gallon square jug still in the photo. They all seemed to do well.

Garden20200513_5092_porchStarts_600.jpg

Meanwhile, down in the actual dirt, a lonely cucumber was kept company by a single gallon of water, though it was also enclosed within the Agribon tent. Its leaves appear to be dead.

Garden20200513_5093_porchGarden_Cuke_600.jpg

Its stem as well as the small buds seem to have survived. I will have to wait and see.

Garden20200513_5094_porchGarden_Cuke_bud_600.jpg

The pea plants within that same bed were, of course, unfazed by the brisk weather.

Bob

Mathaious12

Took a month but finally have a garden set up and plants in the ground. Did the double dig tilling method for the planted bed, took the better part of a day and one good sun burn to get done. Won't be doing that again. The cardboard is for the second No Dig bed I'm going to try.

I have beans and peppers planted for now, they seam to be the only seeds that made it through false spring #1, fake summer, winter #2, and spring #2 that occurred over the past 2 month (for those of you not familiar with Californias central valley weather, here in Sacramento we have some 10 micro seasons that take the place of spring or fall). I have squash, cucumber, and watermelon seedlings that are looking hopeful, and considering trying round 3 of corn seeds.

20200518_083413.jpg20200518_083435.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Storage of Tomatoes in Fridge vs. Room Temp

"There is much debate about the correct storage of tomatoes. There are two main options available to consumers: Storage in the refrigerator or at room temperature. A research team from the University of Göttingen has now investigated whether there are differences in the flavor of ripe tomatoes depending on how they are stored and taking into account the chain of harvesting from farm to fork. No perceptible difference was found: the variety of tomato is much more important."

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Storage of Tomatoes in Fridge vs. Room Temp

"There is much debate about the correct storage of tomatoes. There are two main options available to consumers: Storage in the refrigerator or at room temperature. A research team from the University of Göttingen has now investigated whether there are differences in the flavor of ripe tomatoes depending on how they are stored and taking into account the chain of harvesting from farm to fork. No perceptible difference was found: the variety of tomato is much more important."

Bob

This Old wive's tale is so permanently embedded in my brain that I'll never be able to eat a tomato that has once been refrigerated without not being able to taste it.

BarG

Founding Member
I process mine in a pressure cooker for an hour at 15 lbs. After coring and peeling. Then store in Mason jars for up to several year's. I don't have to grow a quantity every year.just enough for fresh whole tomatoes. When I open a mason jar 5 years or even older, they smell and taste the same as fresh canned, no lie. I have shelves that fit 24 quart jars perfect 24 to a shelf.

tullius

"There is much debate about the correct storage of tomatoes. There are two main options available to consumers[...]"
The debate goes away quickly when you grow your own tomatoes. Bob is aware, I'm sure. ;)

I still won't refrigerate a tomato. It's like buying margarine.

BarG

Founding Member
I got okra to plant, I don't like it, but my neighbor does, i am growing a WHOLE bunch of cantaloupe, and a few black diamonds

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My gardening this week consisted of sowing 20 lbs. crimson clover and two lbs. wildflower seed. I have more wildflower seed on the way coming from Oregon so they are a little slow arriving. They will be used as a vegetable garden by bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. :)
edit: I’ll have to add pics in a few weeks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I needed to move my two kabocha squash from the tray on the porch into the real dirt. But this morning, I watched a weighty groundhog (Marmota monax) grazing only two feet from my intended destination. Years ago, I had a groundhog eat a fully bearing habanero plant to the ground, peppers and all.

My solution was to create a fabric (Agribon AG-15) barrier around them that would also entrap a huge onion, with the hope that the onion aroma might render the enclosed area unappetizing.

Garden20200523_5145_kabochaEnclosure_400.jpg

I placed 3 tomato cages into the ground, then attached the Agribon with a half-dozen clothespins.

Garden20200523_5147_kabochaPlants_400.jpg

I'm sure that a groundhog could go right through that, or under it, or over it. But with no visible, tender plants, and only the aroma of onion, a groundhog may not bother. Once the squash plants are a bit bigger, and develop their rough, prickly leaf stems, I think I can remove the fabric without risk.

I've never grown this variety before, so I don't know how large or sprawling it may become.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.