Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mach 1 tobacco shredder or powermatic shredder

DrBob

Founding Member
does anyone have any experience with the Mach 1 shredder? Is the shred as good as the Powermatic produces? I do like the shred the Powermatic gives but it seems slow compared to what the mach 1 can do.

Brown Thumb

does anyone have any experience with the Mach 1 shredder? Is the shred as good as the Powermatic produces? I do like the shred the Powermatic gives but it seems slow compared to what the mach 1 can do.
Wow too slow
I pulled out old unreliable faithful the other week when my kid was bugging me to help shred some of Larry's stuff
She is a motorized pasta maker with all the mods to keep from stripping the gears. Now that is Slow I never knew how slow until we used them side by side.
Just by another powermatic and you will stay hustling until you run out of leaf and I hate when that happens I go into shredding withdraw

DrBob

Founding Member
I was just hoping to find someone that used it. I did see a clip on youtube and it seemed to work well enough but it was hard to tell what the shred was like. It sure looks like a modified paper shredder. I do have a mark 1 shredder that I got from fresh choice and it was a modified paper shredder a mailmate m-5 and it worked well enough but the shred looks a lot like oatmeal. It seems to smoke pretty good but the end keeps falling off my cigarettes.

Jon Lee

I've owned a Mach 1 electric for about a year now. I purchased it used on Ebay for around $100 (I got a deal). This thing weighs nearly 50 lbs (the mail lady had problems carrying it).
It shreds about as fast as one can shove leaf into the hopper. I use handfuls at a time. Simply put, it will shred what you put in it (I've never experienced a "jam").
The one issue I've noticed is it will overheat when shredding a little more than five lbs in one sitting, causing a thermal cutoff in the motor to trip, where one has to wait for it to cool down. At least they used a cutoff rather than a thermal fuse... so it does still continue to work!

One pass through...
DSCN0041.jpg

I like to run my tobacco through twice, which gives a better consistency for blending and stuffing tubes IMO.

OldDinosaurWesH

Speaking of shredders, is there a standardized shred size for pipe tobacco? The .8mm size I get out of my deluxe shredder I got from WLT is great for cigarettes. All the pipe tobacco I have ever seen is much wider.

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For pipe tobacco, the shred width varies. Most newer commercial pipe tobaccos use a finer shred than they did 40 years ago. I find that the finer the shred, the hotter the smoke. I know of no affordable shredder that makes what I prefer.

My solution is to roll a tight cigar, flatten it, then slice it as finely as possible by hand. This gives me a wonderful, coarse shred.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

That gives me an idea. The old fashioned paper cutting boards with the big heavy knife-like cutter on the end. Stack up some leaves and commence to cutting. Just an idea. I like cheap easy solutions to problems if I can come up with one.

I saw an elaborate contraption on a you tube video where these guys invented a knife-like shredder using an electric motor with a series of gears and eccentrics that looked liked it worked really well. They made bricks of tobacco and chopped it up into shreds. I think they spent a whole lot of time and a fair amount of money inventing this thing though. And I'm guessing it probably weighed a couple of hundred pounds. Not very practical for the amature tobacconist.

Nice looking shreds. Some home-made Perique in there?

Wes H.

riverstone

Have a look at Shredders, Dicers and Slicers forum and a post as Plug Cutter. You will see a slicer I made and the slice width is adjustable by turning the knob. 1 whole turn is 1.5mm; so you see I have it set for cigarette tobacco and turn 1/3 at a time.

burge

For pipe tobacco, the shred width varies. Most newer commercial pipe tobaccos use a finer shred than they did 40 years ago. I find that the finer the shred, the hotter the smoke. I know of no affordable shredder that makes what I prefer.

My solution is to roll a tight cigar, flatten it, then slice it as finely as possible by hand. This gives me a wonderful, coarse shred.

Bob
There is a cheap power one that makes a big cut on ebay.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm. Let's see...$189 for a machine that will make a pretty horrible shred (no specs given, but looks about 1/2" in the linked video). Whereas, with my $20 Kuhn Rikon 6" kulu, I easily make a perfect pipe shred.

I'll pass.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Bob, I agree, the specs are lacking on that machine. On the other hand I spent about $200.00 for my 1.6mm shredder and love it. I quite often make up to 3 pounds of pipe tobacco at a time and it comes in quite handy. If I just did a small batch every once and awhile I'd be happy using the WLT shredder ( even though its not 1.6mm)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A "big" batch of pipe tobacco for me is about a half-pound, which lasts me long enough for the manual shredding to not seem burdensome. A half-pound of commercial is about $20 worth, bulk, and closer to $50 worth of tinned. So purchasing a decent shredder could be justified. But then I'd have to find a place for it, and fuss with maintenance. With the kulu blade, a simple wipe with a damp paper towel keeps it happy. It also serves well as my chaveta. And...it hangs on the wall, out of the way.

Bob