Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Madfarmer's 2023 Grow

GusAvocado

The white-stem burleys begin with something of a shortage of chlorophyll, which they promptly compensate for, by spreading broad leaves.

Bob
I was concerned because everyone ranted about how easy YTB is to grow, and mine looked terrible. Once it got established it shot out huge broad leaves.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind that the chlorophyll of White-stem burleys clears more rapidly than the other necessary chemical processes complete their alterations. So it will look beautiful before it is actually fully cured. Commercial growers in my part of the country cite Thanksgiving (late November) as a rough date for when their burley is smokable. Even then, it will be much nicer if you can allow it to age until May. Also, kilning before Thanksgiving sometimes aborts the ongoing, incomplete curing, and results in raw, grassy tobacco.

Bob

MadFarmer

kilning before Thanksgiving sometimes aborts the ongoing, incomplete curing, and results in raw, grassy tobacco.
Not to count my chickens with a hatchet (family lore says this was a saying of my maternal great grandmother) but, Bob, you may have saved 1/3rd of this season's harvest from complete ruin. It was headed for Attic Kiln™️ with all the others in my original plan.
Had I known this about YTB, it might have changed the calculus on this year's grow plan. But waiting until May to kiln something will give me a good excuse to grow out some other varieties going into winter.
Today I harvested enough hornworm eggs to make an omelette, if I were 10mm tall.

MadFarmer

The potted Glessenor makes it to day 60, and the flower bud shows up right on time.
IMG_20230615_201552176.jpg

I've been neglectful with the fertilizer what with all the regular rain, so everyone got a dose today.
We've had record humidity this week, feels like South Padre Island outside without the saltwater breeze. The plants approve.

IMG_20230615_201526120~2.jpg