Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Making a mold: @Wolffman

Wolffman

I spent some time drawing up a mold for my own use. This is for a 50 ring cigar but could easily be sized up or down. I have a pretty good 3D printer and this model is on the machine now. It’s being printed in ASA which is much like ABS but has UV resistance. It’s some really tough stuff.

8AE8159D-E95D-4C5B-9D4C-19A6777025C3.pngCC5C4157-34BE-4464-B959-E5AF62D00838.pngAB562A7F-153D-46B5-98C9-B54FA4D1B9E9.png

stdly

Wolffman

Nice work!
I wonder what software is used to design the model.
I use solidworks and can export most formats what format is the file?

I use Autodesk Fusion 360 for everything I do. Solidworks will work just fine too. Export your solid model as an .STL and then import into the 3D printing software.

Wolffman

How much would one of those cost if you were to sell them and any plans to make molds for multiple bunches?

I'm not sure how much the cost would be, but it would be hard to compete with the machined plastic molds already available from certain stores. I believe they go for about $110. Yes, i can easily do a multi slot mold.

BrotherJ

@Wolffman Hey, I'd like to ask a hypothetical question without making any requests. If that plastic is plenty durable, how costly do you think it would be to print a set of cigar ring gauges, from 30 to 60 in increments of 2 (16 rings overall)?

tullius

The 3D print turned out good. I need to make one small adjustment and it will be finished. I guess I need to make a few of them for use next year.

View attachment 43412View attachment 43413View attachment 43414View attachment 43415
Sweet work. Out of curiosity, what was the small adjustment? Think I know what it was, but thought I'd ask.

Just a suggestion, when doing multiples, suggest doing an even number of cavities: that way you're using both sides of the wrapper leaves without any leftovers..

Very cool project (y)

Wolffman

@Wolffman Hey, I'd like to ask a hypothetical question without making any requests. If that plastic is plenty durable, how costly do you think it would be to print a set of cigar ring gauges, from 30 to 60 in increments of 2 (16 rings overall)?
The 3D plastic is plenty durable. Actually, these molds I’m making are tough as hell. For a ring gauge, I’d prefer to do this on the CNC mill from scrap plastics I have. I can build this for you if you pay shipping.

Wolffman

Sweet work. Out of curiosity, what was the small adjustment? Think I know what it was, but thought I'd ask.

Just a suggestion, when doing multiples, suggest doing an even number of cavities: that way you're using both sides of the wrapper leaves without any leftovers..

Very cool project (y)
Oh heck, I didn’t think about the wrapper issue. Good info. I added in a key to the molds for alignment as well as adjusting the interference fit by .001”. The fit is perfect now and I’m betting the seam will barely be visible. I can just barely feel it with my pinky finger.

Wolffman