Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Making "homogenous" blends like RDF?

piping_presbyter

I'm not asking how to reproduce the flavor of Rich Dark Flake, but rather the consistency. It is something like 40% burley and 60% Virginias, but it has the appearance of being completely homogeneously brown. Did they stack the leaves in perfect alternation before pressing for an extended time, or what? Do you think it is heated while under pressure?

Any insight is appreciated!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm not asking how to reproduce the flavor of Rich Dark Flake, but rather the consistency. It is something like 40% burley and 60% Virginias, but it has the appearance of being completely homogeneously brown. Did they stack the leaves in perfect alternation before pressing for an extended time, or what? Do you think it is heated while under pressure?

Any insight is appreciated!
Possibly the sweet and fruity molasses topping had an influence on the color.

piping_presbyter

So, with a flake, would they use the molasses between leaves before pressing, or apply it to the flakes after pressed and cut? I ask because the whole interior of the place is homogenous.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"The toppings add a sweet edge to hot pressed Virginia and Burley flake, which itself is easy going."

How hot? For how long? Was steam present? When you cook Virginia, the color darkens. How much it darkens depends on the stalk level from which the leaf was primed--the higher, the darker.

[I've made many complex blends (no toppings) that appeared so homogeneous that I added some bright yellow Basma just so I could tell when the blend was thoroughly mixed.]

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

"The toppings add a sweet edge to hot pressed Virginia and Burley flake, which itself is easy going."

How hot? For how long? Was steam present? When you cook Virginia, the color darkens. How much it darkens depends on the stalk level from which the leaf was primed--the higher, the darker.

[I've made many complex blends (no toppings) that appeared so homogeneous that I added some bright yellow Basma just so I could tell when the blend was thoroughly mixed.]

Bob
Bob makes a good point. Bright tobacco gets darker than air cured tobacco when its steamed under pressure, so if you timed it just right, even though it starts lighter, you could get it to match.

GreenDragon

In my experience, if you add sufficient moisture to the leaf blend, then press tightly for a period of time, the liquid will flow through all the leaf while under pressure which lends to a more uniform color. This effect is even more apparent once you have shredded the puck for use. Also, I agree with @Knucklehead that the molasses probably contributes to the color. Have fun and experiment!