Whole Leaf Tobacco

Making Latakia at Home

docpierce

If you start with green leaf, be sure to keep the temperature below 104°F, until the leaf has yellowed (4 days to about 2 weeks).

How much time in each "day" is the firing active?

Bob
On the weekend- pretty much 24 hours a day. During the work week twice a day - from 5am till the fire goes out ( the wife says around 10) and from 5 till 12am

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Some years ago, I read a curious article that presented a concept that stuck with me. But I was unable to locate the article again, until just now.

Here is the abstract:
Weiss T et al: Perceptual convergence of multi-component mixtures in olfaction implies an olfactory white. said:
In vision, two mixtures, each containing an independent set of many different wavelengths, may produce a common color percept termed “white.” In audition, two mixtures, each containing an independent set of many different frequencies, may produce a common perceptual hum termed “white noise.” Visual and auditory whites emerge upon two conditions: when the mixture components span stimulus space, and when they are of equal intensity. We hypothesized that if we apply these same conditions to odorant mixtures, “whiteness” may emerge in olfaction as well. We selected 86 molecules that span olfactory stimulus space and individually diluted them to a point of about equal intensity. We then prepared various odorant mixtures, each containing various numbers of molecular components, and asked human participants to rate the perceptual similarity of such mixture pairs. We found that as we increased the number of nonoverlapping, equal-intensity components in odorant mixtures, the mixtures became more similar to each other, despite not having a single component in common. With ∼30 components, most mixtures smelled alike. After participants were acquainted with a novel, arbitrarily named mixture of ∼30 equal-intensity components, they later applied this name more readily to other novel mixtures of ∼30 equal-intensity components spanning stimulus space, but not to mixtures containing fewer components or to mixtures that did not span stimulus space. We conclude that a common olfactory percept, “olfactory white,” is associated with mixtures of ∼30 or more equal-intensity components that span stimulus space, implying that olfactory representations are of features of molecules rather than of molecular identity.

Weiss T et al: Perceptual convergence of multi-component mixtures in olfaction implies an olfactory white - PNAS December 4, 2012 109 (49) 19959-19964
Emphasis is my own. Each of us is making Latakia with different firing materials, each one of which contributes easily a dozen aroma components. I'm suspecting that so long as the collection of firing materials excludes certain strong, recognizable, incorrect components and includes certain strong, recognizable, essential components, that all the other odor variants tossed in there simply serve to "generalize" the overall aroma to a Latakia-ish aroma. I can just about guarantee that in Cyprus, the exact materials and exact quantities of each differ from year to year, and even batch to batch.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Forced indoors by nasty, blowing rain yesterday, I spent the last half of the day working in my study. I smoked:
  • Pearl of Shibam (25.0% Latakia)
  • Angry Alligator (43.5% Latakia)
  • Big & Bold (62.6% Latakia)
in succession, prior to going to bed. When I awakened in the middle of the night, I noticed the distinct taste of eugenol (clove) on my lips.

Bob