Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Methyl Benzoate Kills Hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A common, food-safe chemical, methyl benzoate, kills hornworms at all stages, including eggs. From the available, published report, I cannot determine the required concentration. Methyl benzoate does not dissolve well in pure water, but must be diluted in a solvent that is safe to apply to a living leaf. I don't have any definite suggestions for an appropriate solvent, though a touch of dish detergent in water may work well (since methyl benzoate is often used in soaps and shampoos). My suggestion would be to try 1 drop in a pint of solvent (e.g. water with a couple of drops of Dawn dish detergent). Come back later, and see if you can smell the methyl benzoate in this dilution. If not, then add another drop...etc.

Pys.org said:
You probably know methyl benzoate when you smell it. The natural compound's wintergreen-spicy, floral-fruity aromas make it a popular ingredient in perfumes, soaps, and shampoos.

...methyl benzoate, a compound approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in foods and cosmetics.

...tested methyl benzoate against other agricultural pests, including the brown marmorated stink bug (BMSB), diamondback moth, and tobacco hornworm. He found that the compound can kill all stages of these insects—egg, nymph, and adult—though it works better against smaller insects than larger ones.

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-petunia-shampoo-pesticide.html

Undiluted, methyl benzoate is flammable and toxic. So don't smoke while handling the concentrate, and don't spill it on your skin.
Material Safety Data Sheet: https://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927228

For sale:
If you decide to try this, be sure and report your results here.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob Methyl benzoate dissolve great in: methanol, ethanol and acetone. And Alcohol is also something use at my work close to every day (no no I ain't a alcoholic even if it sounds like that). But it is almost the only thing I can use when I go from water based color to a color that ain't based on water.. So If you have problems don't drink alcohol use it instead lol

ChinaVoodoo

Careful with what you spray on a leaf.

Bob

There are plenty of solvents that are safe for human consumption, but a big concern is how will it affect the plant. Which I'm sure is what you meant, Bob.

My first attempt if I were to try this would be the soap method Bob suggested, because we already know detergent is safe for plants.

Another solvent to consider if that doesn't work, to add to ethanol, might be limonene. I wouldn't use methanol or acetone.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
There are plenty of solvents that are safe for human consumption, but a big concern is how will it affect the plant. Which I'm sure is what you meant, Bob. My first attempt if I were to try this would be the soap method Bob suggested, because we already know detergent is safe for plants.Another solvent to consider if that doesn't work, to add to ethanol, might be limonene. I wouldn't use methanol or acetone.
Sorry for my bad English, but what I mean was not to just spray Alcohol with methyl benzoate at the leaf's (or something else) but if you mix that together you later can mixing that up with water.. Should absolutely have explain that from the start. And nope I would not take Acetone eather (even If it might work)..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting study. It's unclear if the root growth inhibition in Arabidopsis results from soil concentrations alone of methyl benzoate, or if foliar exposure is even involved.

Purely from my own experience, mature tobacco roots inhibit the growth of nearby immature tobacco plants. But I assume that this chemical signaling is entirely confined to the soil.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

It doesn't even say how much MB, nor how much inhibition it causes. It just wouldn't hurt to look into the topic a bit more. I probably won't because hornworms don't live here.

Status
Not open for further replies.