Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mosaic Virus?

jm10

Hello,
I started about 18 plants this year but had to keep throwing plants because they get these brown blotches that seemed to take over whole leaves. Hopefully the pics work. The plants never seemed to die though. Is this the mosaic virus? Used Schultz potting soil, same seeds as last year thoug have never seen this before, also reused planters and cups from other years maybe shouldn't do that. Also using Mars hydro grow lights someone had sold me not sure if the spectrum is weird.

Attachments

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You've got quite a few variables there.
  1. tobacco varieties?
  2. potted
  3. indoor grow
  4. potting soil
  5. re-used containers
  6. artificial illumination
  7. unknown fertilization
As for #5, you can always re-use your containers, so long as they have been thoroughly cleaned and then sanitized.

You might want to spend some quality time with IPM images, just scanning through the photos:

I see systemic problems in the leaves, as well as localized pathology. The center photo (that shows the top of the plant) appears to exhibit signs of Frenching, which indicates a significant nutrient imbalance--under otherwise normal growing conditions.

Perhaps others can clarify this more.

Bob

jm10

Great thank you guys! I can look through those pictures. Mosaic burn looks similar, but havent seen any dark green blotches, 1 plant the other year did get that so I pulled it out and threw it away.

Did start these too soon, probably been inside for 2 months now. Hopefully get them out this weekend. They were root bound why the leaves got yellow, but repotted the other week, I'm sure they run out of nutrients too.

It was 4 different kinds of tobacco I'd have to check the labels again. Same seeds as last year though, I just haven't seen this brown shit before.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I would pm @BigBonner to see if he still has healthy seedlings for sale. I’m no plant disease expert but I would worry about moving those into my good patch just for the sake of caution and superstition. Don‘t mess with the Mojo, bro. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

jm10

Okay thank you, I can PM him.

Some of the tomatoes also got some yellow leaves, and brown spotted leaves so not sure if something jumped to there as well. Had all the planters in black trays and wasn't separating species. I leave water into the black trays sometimes so soil doesn't dry out so fast. So maybe that's some non hygenic stuff let's diseases jump (kind of like people) through the water from soil and roots.

fimbrew

That's not TMV. TMV has mottled green leaves. I'm not sure what it is but it looks like some normal (non pathogenic) damage.

jm10

Interesting! Thank you. The brown blotches on the leaf, not necessarily toward the edge, of manganese or phosphorus deficiency that looks similar.

I wasn't see brown blotches (not circularish spots) in the diseases photos. It might be some pathogen the tomatoe seeds had when I got those. I'm glad it's not tmv.

jm10

I did put these outside a bout a week ago. It hasn't been warm at night yet. I have been noticing these brown spots are new. Not saying that's tmv, is this maybe still some pathogen or could this be hopefully some nutrient deficiency that will heal up once they grow more? I'll pull them if it might be a pathogen that gets in the soil, but nothing in the pathogen pictures looked like that to me. The phosphorus deficiency looked like these off shape brown spots.

Attachments