Whole Leaf Tobacco

Moth's Grow Log 2019

24 pots warming up in the propagator before I sow.

I've have Dominican Republic Olor, Cuban Criollo 98 and Pennsylvania Red - all from Northwood seeds (thank you).

I also have Sultan Albanian and Limonka / Lemoniha / Lemonka / Lemon-Lemon - both a generous gift from Alpine (thank you).

I've not yet decided on quantities of each although will probably sow 4 seeds a pot and thin out the surplus.
IMG_20190224_180012.jpg

Thank you all!

It seems the biggest problem so far is negotiating with my wife about where these will end up.

We have (or had) an agreement that the house is hers, the garden is mine. Apparently this is no longer the case. I must have missed that memo.

I think we've reached an accord - some in the front garden (south facing, although direct sun 'till 11am, when the house obscures it), a row down the south facing (and best) spot in the back garden (full sun from noon 'till sunset), and a variety of large pots around the log store (semi shaded south facing).

At least I won't need access to the log store during summer - it's well stocked and haven't wanted a fire for a few weeks. Today the UK temperature record for hottest Feb was broken for the second day in a row - a positively balmy 20°C/68°F. No coat, my work attire consisted of a shirt with rolled up sleeves...

Anyhow I digress.

Seeds:
The Limonka (Lemon-lemon) and Sultan Albanian n.rustica seeds are a dark slate grey and noticeably larger than the light brown (tan?) coloured n.tabacum.

IMG_20190226_195532.jpg

Sowing:
I fashioned the invoice from Northwood Seeds into a "gently tapping powered" semi-precision distribution device. I overshot my target of 4 seeds a pot 50% of the time.
IMG_20190226_202139.jpg

Waiting:
IMG_20190226_202439.jpg

GreenDragon

Don’t worry, the wife will change her mind come mid summer. They really are beautiful plants and can make quite a show in the garden. Many gardeners grow them just for their lush green leaves and pretty flowers.

Moth

Finally some life from the Olor. There are 4 signs of life in this one pot. It's day 8, so just a slow starter compared to the others, that began to sprout day 3.

I have some led grow lights (currently supplementing daylighting to my cactus collection, languishing on a east facing window - another "negotiation" with my wife) that I'll temporarily use for the seedlings until transplant time.
IMG_20190306_220153.jpg

Attachments