Whole Leaf Tobacco

MrMotion's 2020 Grow Log (returning for my 2nd year)

MrMotion

Okay gents (and any potential ladies),

Last year I grew on my father-in-laws farm about 55 minutes from where I lived. That being said, the grow itself was successful and I learned a TON. Honestly, the darn things grew so fast between me checking on them, I spent most of my time plucking suckers and spraying for worms (a few of the boys got demolished completely). Pretty much the whole season was me reacting to things.

However, I have some decent leaf that is currently stored for when the kiln gets completed.

NEWS! We recently (like 4 days ago) purchased a house out in the county and got a thumbs up from the wife for a garden containing the tobacco, and so begins the 2020 grow, only this time, it'll be in my backyard and recieve the attention it deserves. Super pumped.

Yet to be decided are the types I'm going to grow (Lancaster and PA Red will be in there since I still have plenty of seeds), anyone have any recommendations? Favorites?

Garden will also have assorted veggies. Alot of time and energy has been and will be put into our indoor hemp grow (as well as an outdoor grow as was last year).

Excited to see everyone's grows! Welcome to all the newer folk!

Carlisle

Charly

NEWS! We recently (like 4 days ago) purchased a house out in the county and got a thumbs up from the wife for a garden containing the tobacco, and so begins the 2020 grow, only this time, it'll be in my backyard and recieve the attention it deserves. Super pumped.
Congratulations !

Yet to be decided are the types I'm going to grow (Lancaster and PA Red will be in there since I still have plenty of seeds), anyone have any recommendations? Favorites?
For recommendations, what type of tobacco do you like to smoke/use ?
Check this post, it might give you some help :
https://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/deciding-on-varieties-to-grow-for-pipe-blending-and-cigars.7416/

MrMotion

No luck. I thought they were with my Hemp seeds, but I found those and no 'bacca seeds. Ganna have to order some more and hope COVID doesn't Jack my order time up or I'm ganna behind the curve

Charly

Sad...
I could send you some, but from France it might be even more difficult to reach you in time...
Good luck (contact @skychaser , his list is there : northwoodseeds.com)

MrMotion

Sad...
I could send you some, but from France it might be even more difficult to reach you in time...
Good luck (contact @skychaser , his list is there : northwoodseeds.com)
Thanks Charly! Went ahead and ordered a pack, looks like I'm growing Havana 142, Hanbano 2000 and Cuban Criollo 98 this season. I've got PA Red and Lancaster Seedleaf in storage, figured I'd mix it up a little.

MrMotion

Seeds are in Gentlemen (thanks @skychaser), and wife has approved the garden area (red lines). Ignore the early 20th century South American jungle machete in the photo (bought from a pawn shop in Montana for 20$, they didn't know quite what they had). Been trying to contain the woods in my back yard with it.

Germination begins tonight. Still haven't found the PA Red or Lancaster.

20200411_112602.jpg

Screenshot_20200411-140815_Gallery.jpg

MrMotion

No no, I have PA Red and Lancaster Seedleaf from last year, its stored somewhere safe, I just don't remember where haha. We moved in March and suddenly I'm missing stuff.

MrMotion

So it begins! Got 8 of each germinating. I almost went and bought a heating pad for it (saw it at Lowes) but determined since my florescent lights are in an enclosed box and do generate mild heat, it should be warm enough. I didn't use a pad last year, or have a relatively enclosed box either, or the mylar reflective. Soil is a mixture of potting soil, top soil, and the local back yard soil. Had an issue with fungus gnats last year I'm hoping to avoid.

Havana 142 x8
Habana 2000 x8
Cuban Criollo x8
FL Sumatra x8

Anywhere between 5 and 10 seeds per cube (last year was WAY too saturated). Soil was moistened with warm water, then misted over the seeds and placed under the lights in the box.

Next thing to do is finish the kiln.

20200411_175751.jpg20200411_184221.jpg20200411_190706.jpg

MrMotion

So I have to ask, what’s that Vivosun?
I'm a licensed hemp grower in Tennessee. We grow out door and a little indoor. The Vivosun is my completely automated and climate controlled area, automated 600W HPS grow light, computer controlled 8in inline fan, carbon filter, air circulating fan, temperature and humidity monitored, LCD display, grown hydroponic in coc coir medium, the works. Have a air conditioning unit but I haven't had to use it yet, temps have been decent.

MrMotion

Havana 142 and Criollo 98 have germinated. Habano 2000 and FL Sumatra haven't yet, that I believe is due to not supplying any moisture to them for 24 hours while at a busy day at work. One side of my plastic lid is cracked, more airflow, dries quicker. Also happens to be the side the Habano and Criollo are on.
Screenshot_20200416-080256_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200416-080314_Gallery.jpg

MrMotion

Habano has begun to germinate, waiting on the Sumatra. Also, couple of seeds on the edges of the jiffy cells that just sort of landed there have germinated. I think I'm going try to germinate via coffee filter or similar next year, just to see.

I'm on a 24 hour light cycle with the CFLs, what does everybody else do with the early stages? I had it on a 18/6 but its in the garage and our Temps were dropping. 24/7 keeps it nice and warm.

Casey

ChinaVoodoo

I turn it on when I wake up and then off when I go to bed, but it's also getting a bit of sunlight for a couple hours before I wake up.

MrMotion

I turn it on when I wake up and then off when I go to bed, but it's also getting a bit of sunlight for a couple hours before I wake up.
I have a auto timer that'll turn the lights on and off when I need them, figure this early 24/7 wouldn't be bad, set it to 18/6 after they established some roots. Thoughts?