Whole Leaf Tobacco

MrMotion's 2020 Grow Log (returning for my 2nd year)

ChinaVoodoo

Anything goes, to be honest.

I think the 24/7 idea alleviates fear that germinated seeds might use up all their energy in the night and die before morning. I don't think this is a real concern. Our forefathers either left seeds in greenhouses or hot beds.

If it is maintaining the temperature nicely, then that seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Most of the growth we get is in the garden when hours of sunlight are far less than 18 hours a day. I, and our members in Scandinavia get 16-17 hour days in June and July, so I usually aim for 16 hours with my seedlings so when I plant on the first week of June, it will be the same... but this is just superstition on my part.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There is some indication that flower bud formation may be triggered by a gradually lengthening night period. The issue is not very clear at this point. Many home growers have experienced unexplained, early budding (which ends new leaf formation, and results in a shorter plant).

My own experience has been that only certain tobacco varieties are dramatically effected by dark period length. In particular, Colombian Garcia budded at a height of about six feet in two of my planting beds, but in a third bed, which is exposed to a neighbor's urban-blight-insecurity light, the plants grew to nearly 14 feet, and eventually budded in late September.

We do know that certain heirloom burley varieties (e.g. burley 16) exhibit gigantism in continuous lighting, but that applies to very few varieties, and none that you are growing.

Bob

MrMotion

I'll switch it to a 16/8 light cycle once they've all emerged. I know light cycles for most plants are what cause plants to enter certain stages of development etc (my hemp is at a 18/6 cycle, then 12/12 when I want them to start flowering, some folks do 20/4 even before going 12/12. Anything more than 10 hours of darkness will trigger flowering stage), I just didn't know for this early on. I'm not trying to give the plants light stress or anything.

Casey

MrMotion

So. Unfortunately I've neglected the tobacco a bit, I started my Hemp a while back and its been consuming my already limited free time. Long story short, almost all my seeds have germinated, but all in different orders, and there is no pattern. Basically, some got more water than others, some got little to none (until recently when I've been giving more attention).

This is from today haha.

20200504_084601.jpg
20200504_084607.jpg

MrMotion

How is the grow coming?
Meant to post this last night, my Hemp went into the tent a week or so ago. I've repotted the tobacco into cups and put them in my hemp germination area, much more light. My germination wasn't great. The hemp consumed my time and so did my day job and they faltered. What I did learn last year, is once they are start they grow like a weed and are hard to kill.
20200512_204650.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMotion

Well guys, under the new CFLs and grow area they have gone nuts. I havent prepped my garden yet, at all, and I've had to trim these babies twice. I've been watering them with the same water/nutrient mixture as my hemp and they seem to like it haha.
20200523_204025.jpg

MrMotion

Well, I'm in the process of building a garden, all by hand (hoe, shovel, etc) and its not yet complete. Once that's done, I can plant my poor plants that have outgrown their cups. To prevent them from getting worse, I haven't exposed them to legitimate light for a week now or so, those CFLs I had in my little incubator area were making them get massive faster than I could get the garden ready (a problem I didn't think I'd have).
20200609_180906.jpg

20200609_180247.jpgIMG_9301.jpg

MrMotion

Well guys, I've been working (12 hour shifts) since that last post, no time to do the garden. My wife, being the sweet thing she is, finished what she could with my boys and went a head and planted the tobacco for me! She even looked up how to plant them, spaced them 24", watered them, etc.

HOWEVER. I had them separated by their type... and now.. who knows haha. So, my question, you guys think we can figure out what's what by the time I harvest?

What I'm growing:
Havana 142
Cuban Criollo 98
Habano 2000
Florida Sumatra

I could tell leaf difference for the most part the other day when I looked at them, but I didn't exactly study them real hard.

IMG_9314.jpg

MrMotion

Short answer: Your wife and boys deserve a reward.

Long answer: telling the varieties apart will be a challenge. Looking back through your photos, I don't see any labels at all.

Bob
These were the groups I had going when I put them in the tub, I never moved them around. I don't remember which are which in this photo, but I have a paper diagram and home that does. I'm going out to the garden this evening to find the smallest one and at least identify it. Screenshot_20200612-161420_Gallery.jpg

MrMotion

So I didn't mention before, but prior to my families surprise tobacco planting, the plants had not been hardened to direct sunlight. We had about 5 days of blazing heat and sun after the planting. Good news though, of the 24 plants I had, 16 appear to have survived, which is plenty for me.

I also believe I've identified the Florida Sumatra, which I was most concerned about for my wrapper leaf.
20200622_084724.jpg

MrMotion

So I moved some of the plants around to give them a bit more room, of the 16 I thought for sure 4 more wouldn't make it, but I went out today and they seem to be making a come back.

All my cigars from this seasons grow will be "surprise" cigars. They could be Criolo 99, or Habano 2000, Havana 142, or even FL Sumatra, who knows!

Garden flooded the other day, my drainage was subpar and it decided it was monsoon season. Ive temporarily fixed it, but im working on a more permanent solution (involves a gravel trench).
20200707_102445.jpg

Oldfella

Oldfella
So I moved some of the plants around to give them a bit more room, of the 16 I thought for sure 4 more wouldn't make it, but I went out today and they seem to be making a come back.

All my cigars from this seasons grow will be "surprise" cigars. They could be Criolo 99, or Habano 2000, Havana 142, or even FL Sumatra, who knows!

Garden flooded the other day, my drainage was subpar and it decided it was monsoon season. Ive temporarily fixed it, but im working on a more permanent solution (involves a gravel trench).
View attachment 31511
Hi, I grew 6 different varieties this year, I won't bother to Name them at this point. After I finished bagging for ageing, all carefully named ect, I had a pile of broken stuff left over. I shredded this mixture and let it age for a couple of minutes. Very nice smoke, that's the second time I have done this and been happy with the results. I don't know about cigars but I going to try it in my pipe tonight.
Moral of the story" try it before you Chuck it"
Oldfella

Last edited by a moderator: