Whole Leaf Tobacco

MRM's first grow

Knucklehead

Founding Member
These photos may help with diagnosis. Click the photos and an expanded explanation and more photos will pull up.
If you suspect magnesium deficiency a tablespoon of epson salts per gallon of water may help. Epson salts is magnesium sulfate. Also tobacco consumes massive amounts of potassium, but I’m not really seeing that, although it’s hard to tell from the photos.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3428-Potassium

edit: magnesium helps with the uptake of the other nutrients so if you wanted to give that a try it won’t hurt.

Last edited:

MRM

These photos may help with diagnosis. Click the photos and an expanded explanation and more photos will pull up.
If you suspect magnesium deficiency a tablespoon of epson salts per gallon of water may help. Epson salts is magnesium sulfate. Also tobacco consumes massive amounts of potassium, but I’m not really seeing that, although it’s hard to tell from the photos.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3428-Potassium

edit: magnesium helps with the uptake of the other nutrients so if you wanted to give that a try it won’t hurt.
Thanks knuckles. They are getting good doses of potassium. I may add some Epsom salt to the next feeding.
I'll definitely check out the pics.
I was thinking some kind of stress on the young plant but not sure.

MRM

The lower leaves appear to have been stressed in some way. The upper leaves seem normal to me. They're all just babies.

Bob
They are babies and they are the runts of the litter right now.
I'll give em a good watering and feeding and keep an eye on em.
Maybe just me being overly cautious and freaking out when things aren't as good as I think they should be. Typical parent:rolleyes:

Arturro

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Does that tray float on water all time or you drain it when the soil is moist then fill it up when plants are thirsty? I still don't get the idea of watering from the bottom.
The main reason to water from the bottom is to avoid soil compaction which can lead to spiral root.
1589917876834.jpeg
Plus, watering from the bottom allows your special seedling mix to only wick up the proper amount of moisture.

Last edited:

MRM

Does that tray float on water all time or you drain it when the soil is moist then fill it up when plants are thirsty? I still don't get the idea of watering from the bottom.
The tray floats on water all of the time.
Using the proper seed starting soil it will only soak up so much water.
The soil consistently stays the same moisture and the plants grow really well.
It is very easy to feed or fertilize when needed also. Just add the proper amount in the float water.

MRM

Criolla 9815912310504958324775558411163224.jpg

Lancaster Seed Leaf15912311575572243775936370607022.jpg

My garden has been looking sad. We got hit with a flash flood and they were all underwater for a couple of hours. It burn lots of leaves.
Thankfully they are young and have lots of growth left. They are recovering, just slowly.20200603_182926.jpg

MRM

They all look excellent. How many days have they been in the ground?

Bob
Criolla and Lancaster were planted April 21.
Cherry Red was 2 weeks later.

They look healthy - the criolla and lancaster in the garden that are trying to flower arent nearly as big as the ones in planters and are trying to bloom alot sooner (and smaller) than they did.
The 2 in the planters are 2-3 weeks older than the ones in the garden.

I was expecting 5' - 6' tall. These are closer to 3'. The Lancaster is the tallest at almost 4'.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Le
Criolla and Lancaster were planted April 21.
Cherry Red was 2 weeks later.

They look healthy - the criolla and lancaster in the garden that are trying to flower arent nearly as big as the ones in planters and are trying to bloom alot sooner (and smaller) than they did.
The 2 in the planters are 2-3 weeks older than the ones in the garden.

I was expecting 5' - 6' tall. These are closer to 3'. The Lancaster is the tallest at almost 4'.
Leaf count seems about right. The plants will continue to grow in leaf size even after being topped. According to the info in the links, Lancaster grows to 4’, Criollo up to 6’. Your plants have not quite finished growing yet and even if you are experiencing early flowering, you are going to end up with a great harvest. The plants look wonderful.

MRM

Le

Leaf count seems about right. The plants will continue to grow in leaf size even after being topped. According to the info in the links, Lancaster grows to 4’, Criollo up to 6’. Your plants have not quite finished growing yet and even if you are experiencing early flowering, you are going to end up with a great harvest. The plants look wonderful.

Thank you so much for the reply.
I tend to worry a bit much and the appearance of those flower buds at that size wasn't fitting into the mental schedule I had.

I really thought that I read Lancaster grew to nearly 72".
I've read alot of stats and could have easily gotten confused.

Thanks for making my day.

Oldfella

Oldfella
Le

I had that happen a year or three ago. I just topped them and from ( from my old memory), they carried on with no problems. They really are nice looking plants you have, watch them grow and enjoy the final product.
Cheers Oldfella