Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

MRM's first grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRM

I am getting tore up by grasshoppers and not finding much to stop them.
Grass is cut as short as I can go and sprayed pyrethrin once.
The pic is only a small portion
Any suggestions??20200707_181559.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You may just be seeing the result of budworms that damaged the embryonic leaves in the stalk growth tip weeks ago. As the damaged leaves grow, the divots become more apparent, and increase in size in proportion to the leaf size. Tidy, rounded defects just don't look like any grasshopper damage I've ever seen.

Bob

MRM

I thought grasshoppers because I have caught and killed several.

It does make good sense what you are saying. I did have some damage like that while they were small.

I am seeing some of them get way worse.
It rained late yesterday and I didn't get to walk it, left the house before dark today and when I came home there were leaves that were much worse, a few with almost half the leaf missing.15941705827122817644895636973950.jpg1594170598289362157451891209140.jpg
Those huge missing places weren't like that yesterday, I've watched that paticular plant like a hawk

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I just looked into it a little bit and I kind of like the idea of granules you put out over the yard with a rotary or drop spreader rather than directly on the tobacco. Kills grasshoppers, fleas, ticks, etc. which your pup may appreciate. Kills in 24 hours. This is made by Bayer but Sevin and other brands also make the granules. I have never used this myself but I’ve never had a grasshopper infestation that bad.

MRM

I just looked into it a little bit and I kind of like the idea of granules you put out over the yard with a rotary or drop spreader rather than directly on the tobacco. Kills grasshoppers, fleas, ticks, etc. which your pup may appreciate. Kills in 24 hours. This is made by Bayer but Sevin and other brands also make the granules. I have never used this myself but I’ve never had a grasshopper infestation that bad.
Thank you sir! I will look into that. I don't like spraying anything on the leaves either.
The pyrethrin that I sprayed was on the grass and I made very sure none touched the tobacco.

MRM

I want to say a huge thank you to you guys for all of your informative help.
I have had a great time, learned a ton and am still having fun.

Here is my start on harvest and curing.
3 criolla 98 and 1 lancaster
A few lower primings from cherry red on the right that ill air cure for scientific study,fotta move some things around and get more space ready.20200711_122428.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.