Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

MRM's first grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

plantdude

I was wondering why we had two more days of rain forecast out here. I should have figured someone had just put their leaves out to sun cure. That works even better than washing the car:)

They are looking good so far. Worse case scenario the brown one will just be air cured. It'll give you something to compare the others to.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The Piloto Cubano in the second picture looks mature to me from the photo. I can’t really see as well from the first photo but you could start selectively prime some of those or wait longer if you want a more intense flavor. That stage would be great for wrapper. As a cigarette smoker I have a tendency to prefer priming late rather than early but we’re talking cigars here. It sort of depends on how the lower couple leaves of all those plants look. If they mostly look like that second photo you could take a priming if your weather permits.

That Cherry Red is gorgeous. I would call it mature to ripe. It will flue cure a little more easily if you wait a little longer for it to become fully ripe or you could prime some of the more rugose leaf now and no one could argue with your decision. I think at this stage it may come down to what works out best for your curing and work schedule and how much of that fits in your chamber at a time. What doesn’t fit in your chamber now will continue to ripen while you cure the first batch.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Weather is a big factor for me. You are in that middle spot where if your weather and humidity are in the sweet spot you could prime and take advantage of the weather without it hurting you. If rain is coming in and the humidity is going to be high for a few days you can also afford to wait it out without it hurting you. You are also in that middle ground where you don’t have to rush but can take your time and work around any other tasks you have going on. No rush but if it works best time wise that could be a factor.

MRM

Weather is a big factor for me. You are in that middle spot where if your weather and humidity are in the sweet spot you could prime and take advantage of the weather without it hurting you. If rain is coming in and the humidity is going to be high for a few days you can also afford to wait it out without it hurting you. You are also in that middle ground where you don’t have to rush but can take your time and work around any other tasks you have going on. No rush but if it works best time wise that could be a factor.
Im trying my best to be patient and let it go longer.
Weather is pretty consistent now and shouldn't be a problem.
Everything left on the cherry red will fit in the chamber, i may suncure some more though.

I am really enjoying watching it grow and mature. It definitely has its own time.

I am learning alot as I go.

MRM

The Piloto Cubano in the second picture looks mature to me from the photo. I can’t really see as well from the first photo but you could start selectively prime some of those or wait longer if you want a more intense flavor. That stage would be great for wrapper. As a cigarette smoker I have a tendency to prefer priming late rather than early but we’re talking cigars here. It sort of depends on how the lower couple leaves of all those plants look. If they mostly look like that second photo you could take a priming if your weather permits.
I am taking a lot of pictures, it is easier for me to tell the color differences.
Posting the photos in my grow log along with the comments is kinda kike a study guide to look back on.

I primed a few leaves that looked like that last week and hung them by themselves for easy observation.
They started to yellow about the 3rd day and by the 5th day they were very yellow - I think I did ok.

Most all of the piloto look similar.

Thanks for the guidance.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I am taking a lot of pictures, it is easier for me to tell the color differences.
Posting the photos in my grow log along with the comments is kinda kike a study guide to look back on.

I primed a few leaves that looked like that last week and hung them by themselves for easy observation.
They started to yellow about the 3rd day and by the 5th day they were very yellow - I think I did ok.

Most all of the piloto look similar.

Thanks for the guidance.

You are having a great first season. I was a slow learner. :sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.