Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

MRM's Flue curing chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRM

So, I have built myself a curing chamber.
The outside dimensions 3' x 4' x 6'.. the way I built it I have an interior of 27.5" x 40" x 60".20191229_104123.jpg

I framed it like a house. 2x4 stud walls, 2x4 framed floor and roof. 1/2" plywood exterior with r35 insulation between all studs on sides and top and bottom. I covered the interior with 1/8" wall board then covered with 1/4" double foil faced duct insulation (came in 5' wide roll and I already had on hand) then covered with 1/2" foil faced exp and all seems taped with tyvek tape.
All framing was caulked with fireproof caulk prior to insulation.

I framed the door facing with 1x4 to provide a good surface to seal, then lined with a heavy foam gasket.15776423457034852230642267504604.jpg20191229_104228.jpg

I made the door from 1/2" plywood lined with 1x4 on the outside and secured the door to the chamber using standard door hinges with latches on the opposite side. The door compresses the seal very tight.
I cut and placed a piece of 2" exp on the inside of the door to seal the opening when closed.

I stole the airflow idea from @DGBAMA. A piece of 2" exp 2.5" shorter than the interior with a channel cut out in the back and a muffin fan at the bottom. Pulling air from the top and discharging at the floor. This fan will run continuously.
20191229_100809.jpg
I stole the heatbox idea from @ChinaVoodoo. I was very familiar with the concept and it was simple to do.
I used an old red metal tool box. Cut a 2.5" hole on each end, from the back side I mounted 3 ceramic keyless sockets and installed 3 300w light bulbs inside the box.
The heat box sits directly in front of the discharge of the air chimney which moves the heat and cools the box and bulbs. The box sits on 2 pieces of ceramic tile.
I used 1/2" exp to make an enclosure for the heat box.20191229_100756.jpg

I am controlling the heat with a pid thermostat that I found on ebay for $13. It works pretty dang good.
I used a few electrical boxes and some conduit to clean up the electrical appearance on the exterior.
I wanted the thermostat mounted and easy to see and not move around. I also wanted an exterior plug to avoid having to many cords.20191229_104427.jpg20191229_104056.jpg

I have installed rails for a top and bottom row of baccy. I will hang the leaves the same way @leverhead hung his in the professional flue cure racking thread. Screenshot_20191229-113230_Chrome.jpg
Racking this way, with 6 leaves per rack and deducting for space around the heatbox I should be at about a 500 leaf capacity.
Those figures are based on growing cherry red 401 and figuring 24" - 26" leaf. Bigger leaf will obviously decrease total leaf capacity but I can deal with that.

I will be installing a vent for flue curing and an additional fan in the heat chamber just as a backup precaution. I have a digital hygrometer on order that I will install also.

The latches I used to keep the door closed, you can also see a piece of red oak 1/2" x 1/2" x 7" used as reinforcement for the door around the latch area.20191229_100909.jpg

I used a piece of wire shelving sitting on top of 2 pieces of red oak for a shelf and I have some lemon virginia leaf in jars that I will kiln for a week for an experimental kiln run.

I have already ran the chamber for a couple of days then left the door open with only the fan running to expel any fumes there might have been.

The chamber heats very easily. The heat box has no problem reaching 175° and it seems to hold the temp pretty well.
No where on the exterior can you feel any heat at all. The outside of the chamber is as cool to the touch as anything else in the room.
I will be adding a couple of view ports in the next week or two. For those I will cut an opening and frame in some 1/2" thick lexan and overlay the outside of the view port with insulation when not in use.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nicely done. Great illustrations. What would your estimate of cost be?

Bob

EDIT: Added to the Index of Key Forum Threads

Last edited:
Reactions: MRM

MRM

Nicely done. Great illustrations. What would your estimate of cost be?

Bob

EDIT: Added to the Index of Key Forum Threads
What an honor, thank you so much.

I'll try to estimate my build cost. I had some of the material on hand.

1/2" ply 3 sheets purchased, almost 5 used @ $11 a sheet.
1/8" wallboard 3 sheets @ $10a sheet
2x4's 8' 15 total @ $2.75
1x4's 8' 6 total repurposed
1/2" exp. 3 sheets @ $10
2" exp. 1 sheet @ $29
The other insulation I had on hand but about $40 worth of r 35
I already had fireproof caulk. I used 2 tubes and it's about $8 a tube
Hinges 3 pack for $9
Latches 2 pack for $3
Weather strip 2 packs @ $17each
Screws. About $10
Tyvek tape (Lowe's brand) 1 @ $10
Keyless porcelain sockets 3 @ $2 each
300w bulbs 3 @ $3.49 each
Old tool box and muffin fan free
Electrical boxes about $12 for 3 different boxes and a plug and cover
I got the conduit and fittings plus the wire from an electrician friend.
Pid thermostat ebay for $13.49
Digital hygrometer with sensor $9 from Amazon
I also used misc. material I had on hand for shelf brackets and hanging strips.
Lexan for viewports will be free from a glass shop friend.

I haven't added this up but I remember spending about $225 - $250.
It can be built cheaper this is just the way I chose to build mine.
If I had to buy everything I used it would easily be $300 - $350. I dont feel like that is a bad investment at all.

Also countless hours reading and researching on here.

MRM

Great job! Looks like you’re all set for a 2020 grow!
And cant wait. Have decided to grow cherry red primarily and maybe a few plants of big gem or del gold.
My chief objective is about 100 plants of cherry red and maybe 5 or 10 of the other just for comparison. Might try the other variety sun cured.
I have a 128 cell float tray on the way and will start prepping for that phase in another couple of weeks.

Good luck to everyone on the upcoming season.

MRM

I got a view port installed.
I made the exterior cut with a circular saw then cut the interior wall from the outside with a jig saw.
I framed the inside wall and exterior wall with 1/2" x 1" red oak. The interior frame is reinforcement for the Lexan to attach to and the exterior frame is for a door and completed appearance.
I framed the inside of the view port with 1 x 4 glued and nailed in place.
I then cut pieces of 2" exp to line this portal and finally cut a removeable plug to insert into the opening.
I used 2 old cabinets hinges attached to the first cutout piece as a door held closed with a small red oak wedge.

This view is from the inside. The seal is the same seal I used for the door. I predrilled the holes and screwed the Lexan in place alternating torque on the screws until I got an even compression seal.
The Lexan is 7.5" x 14" the view from the out side is about 3.5" x 10 due to the insulation. I feel like I have a pretty good view .20200102_162137.jpg

This view is from the outside with the plug removed. If I alter my stance and point of view I am able to see most anywhere inside20200102_061428.jpg

Now the plug in place. I still need to tyvek tape everything now that I am sure of fit and function.20200102_061415.jpg

And finally the door is closed and the wedge in place. If there is any heat loss it is minimal. Temp is staying just like before and cycles on and off just as before the window installation.
I think if anything it now has more insulation as before when the plug is installed and door closed.
20200102_061357.jpg

I might wind up wanting one in a different location as well, only time and experience will tell. If so it only took 1 1/2 hours to install this one and I have everything needed for a duplicate.

MRM

It looks like you have a good system and an early start. Getting uniformly ripe leaves to put in it is the next challenge. Don't get heavy handed with the nitrogen, it makes it harder to pick out ripe leaves.
I've been reading and researching the aspects of growing, harvesting and curing daily, trying my best to make sure I am well informed and prepared.

I started a thread a few days ago about fertilizer and got some excellent information and recommendations.
Thanks for the tip, I gladly accept all tips and info and will definitely be gentle with nitrogen (with as little urea as possible).

Status
Not open for further replies.