Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My grow blog in hindsight......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bex

Hmmm.....My flue cured Virginia is probably as good as anything that I’ve been able to purchase. I suppose that the problem is that I don’t really like Virginia on it’s own - I’m a cigarette smoker, go for that ‘throat hit’, etc., which I never get from Virginia. Amusingly, a cigarette with too much Virginia in it makes me cough! I’m seriously hoping that my venture with Burley is successful this year - I spent over 3 hours this evening tweaking, trying, tweaking again, to try to get a blend I like. It was hard work!! How excellent would it be, if I was actually able to appreciate and enjoy what I’ve grown myself. It’s too bad that you can’t flue cure burley - I find that procedure so easy now. Every once in a while I go back to my ‘tobacco diary’ and read about the panic and anxiety I experienced (and overcame, thanks to this forum) my first and second year flue curing. Considering that options here are few, and whatever options there are, aren’t great, I can only hope that my efforts will be successful. Fingers crossed.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I seem to recall that the recipe for Camel cigarettes is something like:
  • flue-cured Virginia: 60%
  • burley (possibly "toasted"): 30%
  • Oriental (typically Samsun): 10%
Orientals (many of which can be successfully flue-cured) don't have the same acidity as Virginia. If you have no Oriental, then I would be inclined to try an initial blend of 2/3 flue-cured Virginia and 1/3 burley.

The "toasting" aspect of burley is a process with which I have no experience. I suspect it mostly serves to provide a flavor alteration. Increase the burley proportion to enhance the throat hit.

Bob

Bex

I was a Marlboro smoker in my day - a legacy from my Dad, who used to smoke 5 packs of Marlboros each day, plus cigars. When I first came over here, I found the European Marlboros really light and tasteless, and went through tremendous machinations to get friends back in the US to send me cartons of cigarettes. I finally had no choice but to get used to the European Marlboros. My current blend, considering what you’re saying above, I guess is kind of strong - I’m doing a 50/50 to 60/40 blend of burley to Virginia. Some of the European burley, almost on its own, isn’t too bad (or too strong) - some tastes like More cigarettes (which has, at least to me, a kind of ‘cigar’ taste to it. My current ‘shipment’ of burley tastes almost like nothing. I got a shipment from the Germans some time ago that was truly horrid and very smelly, like a cigar (sorry!!) - when I complained, they said it was the ‘end of the season’, and was expected. The difference between the two shipments (and only about 3 month apart) was extreme. I really almost find the Virginia as a filler - just to lighten the load of the burley. Maybe its the soil here, but I’ve never tasted Virginia - even when I was getting it from a decent supplier here - that had any taste to it. To me it felt like you were sucking air through a straw. I suppose I don’t really know what it’s really supposed to taste like, but to me it tastes like almost nothing. Perhaps that’s the result of smoking for 50+ years ...???? But strangely, when looking at a commercial cigarette, you never really see a lot of yellow tobacco in it - it’s all usually brown.....??

skychaser

Camel changed their blend about a dozen years back. Went from using a sweet turkish tobacco (possibly bursa) to a dry nasty tasting strain. Completely ruined that wonderful taste and aroma they had. I used to say I could tell a Camel at 100 yards by the sweet aroma they had. I smoked them for over 20 years before the change. Couldn't stand them after.

Try growing a Maryland strain for the Marlboro taste. Every time I smoke any Maryland I think of Marlboros or Winstons.

Bex

I tried a Maryland (509??) my first or second year growing. I was a real novice and wasn’t too successful, but might still have some seeds, and will try them again. Thanks for the advice. The burley that I grew this year was Harrow Velvet. I have no idea what it will taste like - looking forward to it, though.....
By the way, I like your signature statement....

skychaser

Harrow Velvet is my favorite Burley. (close to a tie with Golden Burley) We grow it every year. It always does well here in our climate. It cures easily and ages quicker than most other burleys. 3-4 months usually does it. It is also milder than many other Burelys. I can almost smoke it straight but I like it best mixed with a little Virginian to mellow out the throat hit a bit.

By the way, I like your signature statement....
Thank you. He deserves justice and should not be forgotten.

OldDinosaurWesH

I made some "Turkish" cigarettes for my friend that smokes that particular brand and I mixed 60% burley (Harrow Velvet), 30% bright leaf (Gold Leaf 939), and 10% turkish (I've forgotten the variety, I got it from WLT). He liked them really well. I'm not a fan of Turkish style cigarettes so I only make the occasional small batch for someone to try out.

Bex

That sounds close to the blend I use. I’ve never added (or grew) any Turkish tobacco, but my blend is basically 60/40 or so burley to virginia. I’m looking forward to trying my own tobacco. I tried one cigarette at the end of the summer (and it was horrible, LOL). Hopefully this will change as it ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.