Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My plants, two sorts

baccy

Update from the garden.

Virginia Golds look like will be fully ripe in two weeks. Tennessee Reds seem will need at least a month more. There are few leafs eaten by the insects and few appear deseased. Overall it's not very bad, but tell me if you know what that deasease is and if I have to remove those leafs. Thanks!

Tennesee.jpgTennesee 1.jpgTennesee 3.jpgTennesee 2.jpgVirginia Gold.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This kind of question, based on photos of individual leaves, is always a challenge. I'm just guessing. The first image appears to be tobacco etch virus. The second appears to be weather flek. I cannot tell what is going on with the leaves in the 3rd and 4th images. In the 5th image, a single upper leaf that has yellowed appears as though its stem has been broken. If not, then it is diseased, and looks trashy anyway. I would just discard that leaf.

Again, I am just taking a wild guess with these.

Bob

baccy

These diagnostic tools may be helpful to you. You have the advantage of seeing your plants in real life and from different angles and lighting.

Thank you! From those pics I already recognise 2 or3 deseases and a Copper deficiency. But it's normal I suppose. Is good that 80 % of all leafs looks perfectly fine for now.

baccy

Hi all, I purchased a pipe and some accesories from the danish store. Will show you when it arrives. @deluxestogie ,@Knucklehead , @BrotherJ .

I am concened for the plants as it is geting cold here. Nights are 3-4-5 degrees C or 37-41F. Few out of next 10 nights will be only 1C . I checked the map for the first frost date and for mine area is 20th of November but my town is at the border with the area where the frost is from now 20th September. Also 1C is already there almost.

The plants are not ripening yet, even Virginias which I expected to be ready by now. They sit the same as 2 weeks ago.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hi all, I purchased a pipe and some accesories from the danish store. Will show you when it arrives. @deluxestogie ,@Knucklehead , @BrotherJ .

I am concened for the plants as it is geting cold here. Nights are 3-4-5 degrees C or 37-41F. Few out of next 10 nights will be only 1C . I checked the map for the first frost date and for mine area is 20th of November but my town is at the border with the area where the frost is from now 20th September. Also 1C is already there almost.

The plants are not ripening yet, even Virginias which I expected to be ready by now. They sit the same as 2 weeks ago.

baccy

Thanks for the helpful read! From what I understood few hours at 0-1C won't do much harm.

Anyway they don't look great atm . There are two plants tiping over without being windy or anything.

ten.jpg

This is what I could do about it:

IMG_20220921_174012.jpg

Also Tenneesee Reds are making new flowers now long after their first flowering.

new flowers.jpg

Next is photo of seed buds. Do you think they are ready to harvest ?

buds.jpg

Lastly two pics of Virginia Gold.

vir.jpgvirg.jpg

furryfreek

Most of your plants look like they could be mature enough to harvest now to my eye; bearing in mind that colder weather also makes curing more difficult. When it turned cold for me last autumn (max temps in the low teens, °C) my plants became very slow to ripen and, though the leaves did eventually thicken up and curl round at the edges, they pretty much refused to yellow up at all until harvested; I just had to go by feel.

baccy

@furryfreek , Hi, thanks for writing !
they pretty much refused to yellow up at all until harvested; I just had to go by feel.

I notice the same now. Last two weeks I have picked just a few yellow leafs, before that I was picking few a day. But previous season all of my green picked leafs ended up drying green. Thats why I'm waiting them now.

I have put some greens in a nylon bag and they do cure, but are becoming very clumpy like a wet rag, after that it takes forever to dry out. And the final result is very dark brown leaf and I can't tell which strain they are. When picked yellow Virginias cure nicely to golden color and Tenneessees to red.

Last few days got sunny thou, and the forecast is good for next week. So Ill give them some more time, than Ill hang them inside. Tomorrow I'm collecting seeds from Tenneessees and will top all buds and new flowers. Hope that speed up harvesting.

furryfreek

I have put some greens in a nylon bag and they do cure, but are becoming very clumpy like a wet rag [...]
It sounds like those leaves weren't able to breathe enough and suffered "house burn" (i.e. on their way to becoming compost.) The aim of curing leaf in piles/boxes/bags is to prevent them drying too fast; not to completely prevent moisture escaping. Shuffling the leaves more often and occasionally airing them out [edit: whenever they feel sweaty] may help but I think the nylon bag would still be a bit of a problem, or at least create more work than it's worth. I don't have much experience with pile-curing but have had better results with the leaves piled (heaped rather than stacked) in the open or, at most, loosely covered with packing paper. It's generally quite a damp place here in England though, so take that with a pinch of salt.

baccy

It sounds like those leaves weren't able to breathe enough and suffered "house burn" (i.e. on their way to becoming compost.) The aim of curing leaf in piles/boxes/bags is to prevent them drying too fast; not to completely prevent moisture escaping. Shuffling the leaves more often and occasionally airing them out [edit: whenever they feel sweaty] may help but I think the nylon bag would still be a bit of a problem, or at least create more work than it's worth.
Yes, thats may be it. Yesterday I put some mostly yellow leafs with bits of green on them. When I opened the bag today the yellow remain but the green parts had become some dark green-brown color as if they rot. Later will try the towell method to see if would work better.

baccy

Here is my first pipe.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Will try her tomorrow.

Try "English" or "Balkan" blends.

8.jpg

It is the closest to an english blend I could get here. Hope is not rubbish as other Davidoff i had.

9.jpg

This is the best roll up pouch out there. Smaller than the rest, it could be carried comfortably in pockets. The tobacco comparment spreads, thus could accomodate a pipe. As well very fine leather that is.

91.jpg92.jpg93.jpg

And last but not least a compliment from danish pipe shop, pipe shaped candy :D :D

94.jpg

Last edited: