Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nasal snuff recipes

Krausen89

This sounds like a reasonable amount! I was genuinely a little worried. Glad to hear it was just using the wrong unit of measurement.
LOL yea that could have been really bad! I am weary of using additives in general but i used roughly 3% and even smaller amount of salt which i maybe could use a little more? I also read somewhere that if you let it sit for a week the sodium carbonate "mellows" out a bit more but not sure how true that is.

Krausen89

So I was able to do a bunch without the alkalinizing salts. with no real nicotine hit. It was pretty pleasant but didn't have that nic hit like the commercial stuff Sodium carbonate definitely helped and I feel the salt really help to juice up my nose which I feel is a little bit of an annoying after effect but at the same time one of the reasons why I use it.

RattlerViper

I think salt is like cooking, add what makes it right to you. I have used up to 8% salt and up to 7% sodium carbonate. Fresh 7% carbonate burns like hellfire, after a week the burn has gone away and that oh-so-fresh ammonia smell is present. This however seems tied to having some moisture in the snuff for it to do whatever magic it does. My dry snuff recipes ran 6% sodium carbonate and they are a bit sharp in the nose after a couple of months. I actually went back and made batches of the dry snuff without the sodium carbonate and mixed them with the original batches. If I were to make dry snuff again I would run 3-4% of the carbonate which is what I cut them down to.

Krausen89

Toast snuff

3.5g VA flue cured.
Toast leaves (no stem) at 200F for 10 mins flip and toast other side for 10 mins.
In 1/2tsp of water dissolve .1g sodium carbonate and .2g kosher salt
Grind coarsely(or crumble with fingers) with a few pulses and empty into bowl
Add salt mixture and mix well.
Spread onto parchment paper and toast 200 for another 10 mins or until crispy again
Pulverize in coffee grinder until super fine.

Attachments