Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nathan's first grow blog 2020

Nathan Esq

I sowed victory seeds long red, sustainable seed, cuban criollo 98, and victory seed 'Havana' on 2/8/2020. I'm using six Dixie cups with coco coir, inside a pan of water covered with plastic wrap. I will transplant into coir/perlite 75/25 and 7 gallon grow bags in my backyard. I live south of Tampa, Fl. I havent made arrangements for fermenting yet, trying to get my other half get used to my growing tobacco in the backyard first. Let's see what happens!

Attachments

Charly

Take care not to give them too much water. If there is standing water in the bottom you should remove the plastic sheet to avoid mold.

GreenDragon

I would, also dump the excess water. You want the soil to be moist, not wet and soggy. That's an invitation for mold/rot. At this point it would be best to get some fresh air circulating around them to dry out the soil some. The seeds should have absorbed all the water they need to germinate at this point.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The solid-bottom, plastic, 8 ounce freezer jars in which I germinate tobacco seed are filled about 3/4 with my soil mix, a quarter cup of water just poured into each, then seed is lightly sprinkled on the top surface. I close the screw-on lids, rest the closed jars on a seedling heat mat, and never fuss with them until the seeds have germinated (typically 4 to 14 days). Once the seeds in a particular jar have germinated, then I leave the lid ajar. That is pretty much the point at which I transfer an individual, germinated seed or tiny seedling into a private cell in a 1020 tray.

Bob