Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nathan's first grow blog 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Esq

So, one of my presumed dead plants. It was damaged so I left it in a tray on the bbq grill, to see if it would make it. I noticed the wind blew the container into the neighbors yard. I looked all over for the plant and couldn't find it. About 2 weeks later or 5 days ago, I found it in the tool drawer on the bbq. It was still green. In the last 5 days I have several more leaves, it's the "resurection" plant. 15866267153108123628710738149653.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The rounded leaf tip is surely an Havana type. Which "Havana" are you referring to? Both Corojo and Criollo are also varieties of Havana tobacco as well. While I can usually spot which is which, when the plants grow side by side, a single, isolated plant in an artificial growing circumstance might be a tough call.

Bob

Nathan Esq

You Florida people making me think I'm so far behind! :ROFLMAO: (This happens in other gardening groups I'm in ALL the time)

I'm actually a month behind, lol. But we cant grow much in the summer. Florida Sun Grown in Claremont, FL gets 2 crops/year, spring and fall. He grows Criollo 98 and Corojo 99.

The rounded leaf tip is surely an Havana type. Which "Havana" are you referring to? Both Corojo and Criollo are also varieties of Havana tobacco as well. While I can usually spot which is which, when the plants grow side by side, a single, isolated plant in an artificial growing circumstance might be a tough call.

Bob,
I figured as much, but thought I'd ask.
Victory Seeds "Havana" no numbers or other designations.

ChinaVoodoo

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
No seed pods there. Those are buds that are thinking about forming flowers. If you decide to top it, wait for the shaft beneath that bud head to lengthen considerably. Potted plants seldom reach more than 2/3 of their potential height. Your leaf size is rather nice for a potted tobacco.

Topping will increase the size of leaf that is still growing (as opposed to mature leaf), and will increase their alkaloid concentrations.

Bob

Nathan Esq

Thanks guys, the other plant has wider leaves and has not shown signs of flowering. If I grow leaf that cures brown and aged without mold, I will call it a sucess. Since I'm relegated to pots, my next grow in the fall will be little dutch.

I went from a cigar rolling honey, to a leaf collector, now a grower. I see a couple acres in my future

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks guys, the other plant has wider leaves and has not shown signs of flowering. If I grow leaf that cures brown and aged without mold, I will call it a sucess. Since I'm relegated to pots, my next grow in the fall will be little dutch.

I went from a cigar rolling honey, to a leaf collector, now a grower. I see a couple acres in my future
It’s an addictive hobby. Lol.

Nathan Esq

Looks like a flower is about to open but I'm not sure. The flower head is still quite short, as is the rest of the plant. Should I wait or should I top?20200504_100105.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
So how is it going? I know that Florida sun is working its magic but I’m going through some photograph withdrawal symptoms. Lol.

Nathan Esq

20200515_111204.jpg20200515_111252.jpg20200515_111227.jpg20200515_111215.jpg
So, The top pic is the 2 original plants, not sure of variety. Both topped last week.
Left plant a bit taller and much wider leaves, very few suckers. Bottom leaves are getting lighter but tips aren't brown. Counted 16 leaves.
Right plant much lighter in color, a little shorter, and leaf is a bit shorter and much narrower than Lefty. matured faster, threw suckers at each leaf. Counted 12 leaves.
2nd pic from top - "Resurrection plant"
Seemed to produce all leaves at once then grew taller, just showing flower head counted 16 leaves. Stalk is slender and a bit weak.
3rd pic from top - Lefty closeup
4th pic from top- Righty closeup.

I'm wondering when it's time to prime, should I string immediately or wilt on the grass for a while. I may try putting in a box. Last week RH was 34-44. RH should be picking up for back porch air dry.

Nathan Esq

2 damaged leaves I hung in porch to see what would happen. Started yellowing nicely with high RH, not so much when th dropped to about 40 daytime and 70 night time. Temps about 90 day and 65-72 night time.20200515_113327.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.