Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Natural American spirit turqouise blend

Somelier145

I am completely new to using whole leaf tobacco but cigs are just getting way too expensive. What exactly do I need to purchase off WLT in terms of tobacco and in what rations in terms of grams and if there is a casing I need to purchase or make in order to get closest to natural American spirit turquoise? If I sound ignorant at all my apologies like I said I’m a complete novice when it comes to using whole leaf tobacco. A step by step guide on how properly blend and case would also be appreciated if someone is willing to help an soul out.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You’ll need a shredder, tubes, and an injector.
My cigarette blend is:
45% flue cured Virginia
20% Maryland
20% Burley
5% dark air
10% oriental

I “weigh” by volume rather than on a scale. Some members leave out the dark air and Maryland but I like the layers of flavor since I don’t use any casings.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. You might scan through the subjects in our Index of Key Forum Threads (linked in the menu bar). Also, there is a section on Cigarettes in the WLT Wiki (link above), which includes a discussion of blending.

Bob

Tobaccofieldsforever

I am completely new to using whole leaf tobacco but cigs are just getting way too expensive. What exactly do I need to purchase off WLT in terms of tobacco and in what rations in terms of grams and if there is a casing I need to purchase or make in order to get closest to natural American spirit turquoise? If I sound ignorant at all my apologies like I said I’m a complete novice when it comes to using whole leaf tobacco. A step by step guide on how properly blend and case would also be appreciated if someone is willing to help an soul out.
Welcome to FTT. I bought a pouch of American Spirit either turquoise or light blue before. It was 1.4 ounces of loose shredded tobacco for about 12 dollars which is outrageously expensive if you ask me!! Anyway, it appeared to be nothing more than straight virginia bright / lemon leaf if I remember correctly. There were defintiely no dark burley varieties in it at all, which I found to be surprising. Good luck on your journey of finding a blend you like. The better news is you will probably come up with a blend that you like even more than American Spirit (if you're anything like me) and it will be your own chemical free proprietary blend!! Even if you don't, you will enjoy the experience of trying to find the "perfect blend"

Tobaccofieldsforever

You’ll need a shredder, tubes, and an injector.
My cigarette blend is:
45% flue cured Virginia
20% Maryland
20% Burley
5% dark air
10% oriental

I “weigh” by volume rather than on a scale. Some members leave out the dark air and Maryland but I like the layers of flavor since I don’t use any casings.
Do you just use "raw" burley in your blend? I've read about how burley isn't "palatable" in its raw form (mostly on the WLT description of kentucky burley) and how a lot must be done to it to make it so. I have some burley and maryland from WLT that I have used sparingly I was just wondering what these procedures are that make the burley more palatable or if they're even necessary when using burley at 20 % in a cigarette blend?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Do you just use "raw" burley in your blend? I've read about how burley isn't "palatable" in its raw form (mostly on the WLT description of kentucky burley) and how a lot must be done to it to make it so. I have some burley and maryland from WLT that I have used sparingly I was just wondering what these procedures are that make the burley more palatable or if they're even necessary when using burley at 20 % in a cigarette blend?
I don’t use any casings or flavorings. I treat Burley like any other variety. The burley may occasionally have an ammonia build up smell but airing it out takes care of that. Several commercial cigarette manufacturers toast their burley in the manufacturing process and I did like it that way but it’s not necessary and I’ve only used toasted burley in my blend maybe a couple of times.

Tobaccofieldsforever

blending is exactly what the name implies. You blend different tobaccos together in an attempt to find the most pleasing balance. This is really all based upon what you prefer and since I can't remember exactly how the turquoise spirits taste I won't be much help in that area. @Knucklehead 's suggestion is a good basic outline and starting point for a standard american type cigarette. Mostly flue cured virginia ( I prefer either all Red leaf or a blend of Red leaf and either lemon and or bright), Then Burley/maryland (balances out any harshness/ "bite" from the virginia), Then, if you want, some oriental which can add a little sweetness/ spice / floral notes etc... You can also try using perique/ WLT sells legitimate ST. james parish perique which is excellent! American Spirit's black pack is a perique blend made with st. james parish perique as well purchased from ray martins farm i believe. Anyway, here is an example of a blend I threw together today. Red Leaf, lemon leaf, maryland, burley, krumovgrad:
178577445_861280601268251_9152567972471232498_n.jpg

driftinmark

I do like the american spirit turquoise smokes, they are my go to when i run out of leaf, there is a slight bitter afternote, but they are very good! you can get close with virginia red at about 70 percent then maryland 609 at about 25 percent the the other 5 is oriental. there is no casing on them, they are just like the smokes we make. all natural!

Tobaccofieldsforever

I do like the american spirit turquoise smokes, they are my go to when i run out of leaf, there is a slight bitter afternote, but they are very good! you can get close with virginia red at about 70 percent then maryland 609 at about 25 percent the the other 5 is oriental. there is no casing on them, they are just like the smokes we make. all natural!
So I've never really been clear on this after all these years. When people are talking about American Spirit turquoise cigarettes, are they referring to the darker or lighter blue pack (actually more of a light blue/green color...aka TURQUOISE)? The consensus seems to be the darker blue pack but in my opinion the lighter blue pack is actually the color of turquoise...hence the confusion. I also ask because I have purchased a pouch of american spirit (the light blue kind) RYO tobacco and was surprised to see it was simply one variety of tobacco shredded in a pouch (unless it was different types of tobacco that all cured to the exact same color). Anyway, I agree that American spirit tobacco is good, however I find it to be a bit overpriced for me personally. I think the high price has to do with the farming practices and the fact it is organically grown.