Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Natural gas kiln?

ChinaVoodoo

I disagree with your suppositions. The insulation wouldn't be in contact and be separated from contact in any way with the tobacco.
Crock pot wouldnt need water if it were being run dry with the leaf in sealed bags or boxes.

Translation? Is that a misstype?
It just means that I don't feel like arguing and that I acknowledge your intrinsic freedom to build a kiln however you want.

yeah, not sure I want to put something inside and risk any mold, smells, messes, or anything else. My shop is pretty small. One stall garage and an office area with my tools, a bench, and a drill press. I'm using what I've got. The greenhouse I can take down when I'm not using it that's why it's useful for me not having any extra space for an oversized box for a kiln.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Just a suggestion, but you could modify ChinaVoodoo’s idea with the exception that you could use aluminum tape or tyvek tape and take it apart afterwards. Replace the tape next year. My only concern in regards to the tent is insulation and heating cost.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I checked it out, that's a pretty good design for not a ton of work. I probably should just go spend the money on a few sheets of foam board. That stuff's more expensive than it used to be! I was just hoping not to. I got twins due in March so I'm supposed to be saving money.
It’s an “investment”. You’re saving big money over buying more expensive, inferior quality store bought. The net gain goes towards your baby formula budget. PS- Congratulations. (y)

Rubbermaid didn't hold humidity well and a friend was getting rid of a bad freezer. My space heaters seem to keep shutting down so I'm using a light bulb. Do you think I need a fan to distribute the heat or anything? I was counting on the space heater fan but that's not working anymore.

Attachments

• kiln2.jpeg
    kiln2.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 7

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Many space heaters (and hair blow driers) have a built-in, thermal switch, which cuts off at a specified temperature, and cuts back on once the temp fall below that. Although a Crockpot does as well, it is designed to go at least up to 212°F, so that is never an issue within a tobacco kiln.

Bob

My controller monitors temp and humidity separately. What benefits do you see running a single unit crockpot instead of controlling them independently?