Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New heavy duty shredders in stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
These shredders are the most rugged shredders we've ever had on the site. Get a $35 refund for any shredder you've purchased with us when you buy one of these. This will likely be the last shredder you'll need. We've also found the perfect non-oil lubricant for these shredders that is completely safe and flavorless. Samples of the lubricant is free with purchase of this shredder.

https://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/product/new-heavy-duty-shredder-2/

20190329_103324.jpg

Orson Carte

Could you possibly provide a bit more detail; like

Has it got ball-bearings or bushes? (Though, if you're selling lubricant I'm guessing it's bushes).
Is there no cover over the drive-cogs?
The rollers are 'nearly' five inches - how wide are they, exactly? (Despite it being suggested that the machine might last a 'long time' the things that will certainly wear out in less than a 'long time' are rollers, combs and bushes, and, occasionally drive cogs.)
What are those five silver 'globe' things - are they on the comb?

Thanks.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The function of the toothie thingies are to RAKE the tobacco from the grooves, thus "rakes", as they do not "comb" the tobacco. The machines are made with sealed roller bearings, so they can not be lubricated. The lubrication occurs between the roller cutters.

Last edited:

Orson Carte

Firstly, let me say that my enquiry was genuine.
The model in question is being promoted as being 'the most rugged' you've ever offered and I was drawn to wonder just why this is so. I was potentially in the market for one if I could see had improvements over the four very similar models that I presently work with.
Before I had the use of a semi-industrial mechanised guillotine I used to shred at least two kilograms (about 5lbs) per week. So, I've worn out and rebuilt these four machines quite a number of times. I think I know what they like and dislike and a fairly good understanding of how they work.
1. It's certainly a surprise to me that a lubricant (other than possibly a light misting of water) would be used on the leaves going through the rollers. I am left wondering why you would need this. That's what made me think it had bushes rather than bearings.
2. The 'toothy thingies' is your expression, not mine. Any 'newcomer' would know nothing about these 'thingies' because they simply aren't depicted. And whether you call them 'rakes' as you do or 'combs' as I do (principally because everyone I've ever bought them from, as spare parts, also does) is a matter of semantics. They do the same job irrespective of whether they act like a rake or comb.
3. The reason I asked about a cover over the cogs isn't because I was worried about losing any skin. What I do know is if you run one, motorised, you need grease on the cogs. If you overlook this the cogs simply don't last. From experience I know that if there's grease on the cogs and no cover they'll very soon collect and clog with more crap than you can imagine. It won't always look like it does in your 'studio' shot, with machine as clean as a whistle with a bunch of beautiful shred only the slide.
4. Okay, those 'silver knobs' had me bluffed. It's obvious to me now but you normally never get that view of the captive carriage-bolts because there's a bracing cross-bars (like the ones on top) hiding them. This machine hasn't got those bars. Now I see that clearly, but what are those other four hex bolts (or maybe studs) doing?
With respect, I'm not trying to knock your offering but as customers can only decide from the information they're given online I do think a few more pictures and a bit more information would be helpful.

burge

That would be the next one I order I think. All you do to make it mechanical is to insert a screwdriver and presto

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That would be the next one I order I think. All you do to make it mechanical is to insert a screwdriver and presto
Mine arrived last week. Couldn’t be happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.