Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Use For Tobacco: Edible Extractable Protein

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Warning: Do not attempt to eat any part of the Nicotiana gensus of plant. It can be extremely dangerous and even fatal. If you choose to do so, it is under your own risk and responsibility. This website nor I are not responsible for your actions.

Suggested warning from FMGrowIt:

Nicotine is highly poisonous if ingested and eating raw tobacco can be fatal

that being said...
Not everyone smokes it, there are medicinal uses for it, some countries only use it for recreation, and some...are using it for food?

"Nutritional value

A protein of the White–Brown Complex subfamily[4] can be extracted from the leaves. It is an odorless, tasteless white powder and can be added to cereal grains, vegetables, soft drinks and other foods. It can be whipped like egg whites, liquefied or gelled and can take on the flavour and texture of a variety of foods. It is 99.5% protein, contains no salt, fat or cholesterol. It is currently being tested as a low calorie substitute for mayonnaise and whipped cream"

Link to Wikipedia article about Nicotiana Tabacum

Chime in if you want to!

(I know this is a dangerous subject to talk about considering the poisons in the tobacco plant so I thank FMGrowIt for allowing me to open this thread)

Michibacy

workhorse_01

To me it's not worth the risk, I dont know of a scrambled egg that will kill me, and it is full of protein.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
As I see it, there is a GOOD purpose for every plant on earth. Anything can be taken and abused or taken and used.

Tomatos for example.

On one hand, it can be used as a healthy fruit (vegetable what ever....stupid government classifications) or it can be converted, have sugar and other chemicals added to it and it can be over eaten causing weight gain (to what amount I'm unsure).

Tobacco can be consumed (smoking chewing snuffing) and it IS hazardous (though we chose to still use it) or now it has possibilities as food (already is used in certain medicines to help treat bee stings etc)

SmokeStack

Tobacco as a source of protein? Why not. I am sure the extraction process separates the nicotine and other 'toxins' away from the protein. I imagine that the extraction process is something that is performed on an industrial level - I would not try this at home.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Tobacco as a source of protein? Why not. I am sure the extraction process separates the nicotine and other 'toxins' away from the protein. I imagine that the extraction process is something that is performed on an industrial level - I would not try this at home.

Exactly SmokeStack. The same goes for cashews and almonds. They are all tobacco, it's how they are processed that makes them into something actually healthy

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The albuminous proteins that are being discussed are among the constituents of uncured, unaged tobacco that make it burn poorly and taste raw. These proteins are broken down during curing/aging, and are some of the sources of the ammonia smell noticed when leaf first goes into the kiln.

If all you want is protein, then grow soy beans. They're easier, require less labor, and don't depend on industrial processing to be edible.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.