Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newbie needs some tips on growing.

ChinaVoodoo

Watering from below is good. There's still too much water there.

I would guess you need about 2000 lumens per square foot. A healthy plant might take up 5-8 square feet. That's a lot of energy for tobacco. How much you get from the sun? You'll need a light meter.

Edit: outdoor, summer, noon sunlight is closer to 10,000 lumens per square foot. So ideally, it should be somewhere around there. Realistically, I'm once again guessing a third (3300) to be a minimum.

Last edited:

Radagast

How many lumens will I need to grow these in a north facing room in winter?

A purely indoor grow will be challenging. You will need serious lighting equipment to provide enough light energy at the necessary wavelengths in place of direct sunlight.
If you haven't chosen your lights yet I would suggest reading up a bit, articles like this one might help you figure out what you need.
Good luck!

koceff

Can i plant tobacco near Chandler Walnut trees? My brother planted them near the place reserved for my tobacco plants. They are young , no more than 5ft. tall but I red that they have some substance that is toxic to other plants like tomatoes , peppers and such.

ChinaVoodoo

I don't know. If there's no research on the matter, aside from that of other solanacea, I would assume it is an issue.

There was a documentary on CBC regarding research into certain weeds found on the prairies that may apply. They discovered that since the practice of stubble burning disappeared, the weeds have been a significantly greater problem. The reason is related to hormones released by the weeds that suppress the growth of the agricultural crops. The researchers conducted an experiment where they mixed activated charcoal into the soil of some pots and no charcoal in other pots. The pots were planted with these weeds, and with whatever the agricultural plant was. Sorry, I can't recall the species. Anyway, the pots with charcoal showed no inhibition of growth.

So, my suggestion is to experiment with this technique, rather than to abandon the area for planting tobacco.

stuart1

Removing the flowers and buds I believe is called suckering. and provides a higher quality leaf. I believe boiling the leaves is the natural way too make vape.
Hi do you have any further info on how to make vape?

skychaser

Vaping is not a subject for this forum. Sorry.

Bob
Why not? It's a big part of the wide world of tobacco products now too, isn't it?. Why is it different than learning to make cavendish, or snus, or chew? I get why you don't want this turning into a forum on growing weed, but this I don't get. Please enlighten me on why it is excluded here.

FYI, I have never tried vaping and probably never will. And I have never tried snus of chew either, and probably never will. But that's just me. Everyone else can decide for themselves what to do or not to do. imho

stuart1

Sorry I realised I shouldn’t have opened that can of worms after I posted it as asked a similar question a few weeks back. I think the problem is that extracting nicotine which is needed to make vape juice is really dangerous. Nicotine is a poison and in its purest form one drop can kill you if it comes into contact with your skin. I’ll refrain from any further discussion on this.

Alpine

I think @stuart1 is spot on. Without knowing how much nicotine we have in our leaves, how much is present in the resulting liquid, it can be a very dangerous activity. Nicotine IS a poison, and a potent one. With the limited equipment the home hobbyist has, I’d make nic based insecticide with confidence, surely not something to inhale for myself. Just my 0.02€

pier

koceff

So these are my plants. They are about 45 days old. Any thoughts, are these o.k ?
Forgot to ask and tell.
These are grown in about 70-75f indoors, watered from beneath and have one normal led ceiling light 18w and another regular led light bulb 20w directly above them. I know that there should be A LOT more light but i see them growing and bcz it is my first time growing i don't know if they are developing right.

Attachments

• IMG_20210208_092642.jpg
    IMG_20210208_092642.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210208_092637.jpg
    IMG_20210208_092637.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210208_092556.jpg
    IMG_20210208_092556.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 8

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Forgot to ask and tell.
These are grown in about 70-75f indoors, watered from beneath and have one normal led ceiling light 18w and another regular led light bulb 20w directly above them. I know that there should be A LOT more light but i see them growing and bcz it is my first time growing i don't know if they are developing right.
When I first started seed I realized I didn’t have enough light because the seedlings rapidly became what I call “leggy”. They were trying to shoot straight up seeking light and yours are staying nice and compact to the soil. They look good and they look normal for that stage. Nice job.

Vinny

I don't know. If there's no research on the matter, aside from that of other solanacea, I would assume it is an issue.

There was a documentary on CBC regarding research into certain weeds found on the prairies that may apply. They discovered that since the practice of stubble burning disappeared, the weeds have been a significantly greater problem. The reason is related to hormones released by the weeds that suppress the growth of the agricultural crops. The researchers conducted an experiment where they mixed activated charcoal into the soil of some pots and no charcoal in other pots. The pots were planted with these weeds, and with whatever the agricultural plant was. Sorry, I can't recall the species. Anyway, the pots with charcoal showed no inhibition of growth.

So, my suggestion is to experiment with this technique, rather than to abandon the area for planting tobacco.

hi, i have some charcoal powder and I'm wondering what's the right % to add

also what do you think about this:

ChinaVoodoo

hi, i have some charcoal powder and I'm wondering what's the right % to add

also what do you think about this:

I don't know how much to add. It's all a theory at this point. That paper you posted implies that it would be bad for seedlings.

Maybe this fits with the idea that it helps to suppress weed growth?

There are lots of videos on YouTube of people using biochar which is a fancy name for charcoal.