Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newbie to tobacco growing, glad to see this place!

DocSimon

Hey there,

I am here to learn about growing tobacco as a hobbyist. My father and I are both cigar smokers and have pursued them as a hobby until we started rolling some of our own. Now we're seeing if we can start all the way from seed.
I am a current cannabis grower and have a grow room I am pretty proud of; so I am excited to try a new plant with the same set-up.
I look forward to reading everyone else's experiences and sharing my own.

Here is a semi-recent picture of my current grow; when this crop is finished tobacco is going in! By the time the room is overgrown with tobacco, it'll be just about time to put them in the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcL

Welcome to Fair Trade Tobacco.
This is not the place for cannabis grows but it is for tobacco grows. You may get away with that one picture for a minute or three.
You may want to post another without the leaf.

ChinaVoodoo

Welcome to the forum. Adding tobacco to your grow will be enjoyable, and growing outdoors will just fill out the corners of your love for horticulture.

What sorts of tobacco are you growing and what purpose? I assume, cigar?

DocSimon

My apologies for posting a forbidden leaf, it's legal where I am and I didn't think anything about it. I won't let it happen again! The next time I post pictures of my grow room it will be filled with the right kind of leaves. :)

Right now I have seeds for 'Habano 2000" "Greenwood Dark Air/Fire" and "Cuban Criollo".

I got them because they look like they would be best suited for my lights, but now that I've found this forum and can read some other grow logs and seed reviews I might get a few other varieties.
We're growing for cigars. I've even fabricated my own cigar presses and have done everything other than roll with my own leaves, so that's the next step.

burge

Take advantage of the sale and compare. The stuff you get here is aged right and the same tobacco as the expensive blends.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Read the New Growers' FAQ and scan through the topics in the Index of Key Forum Threads. Both are linked in the menu bar.

Bob

DocSimon

What way are you growing the plants,hydro or soil?.And what lights are you using?
Maybe make a grow blog & post some pics.

https://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/updated-cannabis-policy.9619/
I plan on going hard into the minutiae on my grow and keeping a detailed blog with all my data points. This is the down and dirty version:

(My research into the optimal growing setup for tobacco is not much as of yet, so it's hard to know what will change when I switch the room to bacca mode.)

Right now I generally grow in a 2 to 1 ratio of coco coir to perlite. My grow room is a positive pressure environment with carbon filter air intake and exhaust. It's humidity and temp controlled. 8' x 5.5' x 7'.

I'll be running a mars-hydro 1200w LED grow-light at first for seedlings and will add two 400watt metal halide lights as they are needed; then it should be time to transplant to the outside about the time the plants outgrow the grow room.

I plan on using general hydroponics or foxfarm liquid nutrients. (Because that's what I have). While it's a drain to waste system it's closer to hydroponic than traditional soil growing.

I plan on going hard into the minutiae on my grow and keeping a detailed blog with all my data points. This is the down and dirty version:

(My research into the optimal growing setup for tobacco is not much as of yet, so it's hard to know what will change when I switch the room to bacca mode.)

Right now I generally grow in a 2 to 1 ratio of coco coir to perlite. My grow room is a positive pressure environment with carbon filter air intake and exhaust. It's humidity and temp controlled. 8' x 5.5' x 7'.

I'll be running a mars-hydro 1200w LED grow-light at first for seedlings and will add two 400watt metal halide lights as they are needed; then it should be time to transplant to the outside about the time the plants outgrow the grow room.

I plan on using general hydroponics or foxfarm liquid nutrients. (Because that's what I have). While it's a drain to waste system it's closer to hydroponic than traditional soil growing.
Sounds good!
I've used GH and had good results (with strawberries),I've never used Foxfarm but I have only heard good things about it.