Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newminster No. 403 Superior Round Slices copy attempt

tullius

White distilled vinegar is made from corn, sugar beet, or cane sugar ethanol. Malt vinegar (the type that gets put on french fries) is made from malted barley or malted corn ethanol.

No, I don't soak it in a bowl, that would just wash away flavor and nicotine. I spritzed the leaf with white distilled vinegar from a spray bottle and then bagged it until it came into very high case

treecutter

Thanks, I'm hoping that I can find some distilled vinegar at the local grocery.
Once the vinegar is applied to the leaf, does that make in fairly immune to mold if kept in high case?

tullius

Once the vinegar is applied to the leaf, does that make in fairly immune to mold if kept in high case?
White distilled vinegar is the most common vinegar in North America. Maybe it's called spirit vinegar in Canada. It should be easy and very cheap to acquire: I buy it in 4 gallon cases for around 7 USD per case

Vinegar has antimicrobial properties. I'm not going to say it will completely inhibit mold growth, but the doll was mold free after 6 days of pressing at 75-85 deg F and 70-80% RH ambient. After slicing into coins, I've kept it vac sealed it in a mason jar. No mold

Radagast

Regular old white vinegar you put on food is 5% (95% water) and so called "cleaning" vinegar (also white) is 6-8%. Keep in mind that even 1% difference in acidity might make it MUCH stronger in flavour. Also; the vinegar I have in my pantry right now doesn't display any percentages at all.
Check the labeling. Some are labeled for cleaning, some for pickling etc. (which will probably have the percentage on the label). I assume mine with no printed percentage is the regular old 5% food one.
Edit: having quickly googled it, "distilled" vinegar is a bit more pure version of whatever vinegar they started with. Maybe just a marketing thing, because I thought white vinegar was always distilled.

Last edited:

Radagast

Regular old white vinegar you put on food is 5% (95% water) and so called "cleaning" vinegar (also white) is 6-8%. Keep in mind that even 1% difference in acidity might make it MUCH stronger in flavour. Also; the vinegar I have in my pantry right now doesn't display any percentages at all.
Check the labeling. Some are labeled for cleaning, some for pickling etc. (which will probably have the percentage on the label). I assume mine with no printed percentage is the regular old 5% food one.
Edit: having quickly googled it, "distilled" vinegar is a bit more pure version of whatever vinegar they started with. Maybe just a marketing thing, because I thought white vinegar was always distilled.
(The percentage is of acetic acid content.)

skychaser

I recently saw an old History channel show on acids. They had a segment on acetic acid and showed how vinigar was made at Heinz. They started with several railroad tanker cars arriving with 10,000 gallons of 190 proof grain ethanol. That is diluted down to 14%. Then a mash is added, and a bacteria is added which converts the ethanol to acetic acid. Then it is filtered and flavorings are added to make different kinds of vinegar. From there is it diluted down to 5%. White vinegar had no flavorings added. They skipped over any details about the "flavorings" or how it is malted. But that was the gist of it. What I wanted to know is who made the tankers full of 190 proof white lightning. That's one big still. Too big to hide in the woods!

tullius

Would also like to see that, most likely a *very* large commercial tower still with prominent "No smoking!" signs.

For the record, I used 5% (50 grain) distilled white vinegar, made by the Woeber Mustard Mfg. Company in Springfield, Ohio.

Incidentally, their Dusseldorf mustard is excellent, and 4 USD per gallon here. We keep a couple gallons on hand at all times, it requires no refrigeration.

Last edited: